Honored Contributor

Stuck in a rut, or constantly moving?

No, not your social life, but your home decor!

When one has been keeping house for decades, one tends to have a lot of home decor pieces. Some people place the same things in the same groupings and locations, year after year after year. Some people mix it up, and move their pieces around, create new groupings and vignettes, always something 'new' to look at, even when reusing the same old things.

Which camp do you fall into?

I used to set up a table, or a vignette, and it would often stay the same for years. I'd get something pulled together with just the look I wanted, then really did enjoy it for a very long time. My tastes change very slowly, and I really got my money's worth out of my home decor.

Lately, I mix it up more. I still have much of the stuff I 'loved', I'm just moving it around more, and mixing it up more. It helps me in buying less new, I find it fun and creative (like others find crafting or knitting), and I enjoy the 'new' looks I'm creating around the house. 

I have brought in some new pieces (whether it is holiday or seasonal things, or just 'regular' decor), and retired some old, but in essence, I use the same things for many, many years.

So when it comes to your home decor, are you flexible and fluid, or more set it up, and done?

Honored Contributor

Re: Stuck in a rut, or constantly moving?

[ Edited ]

I was never one for moving the furniture around all the time. I buy specific pieces to fit into the room and then, once there, I only move them to clean. As for decor, I don't do a lot of that. I have some things I bring out for holidays etc but , in general, things stay decorated pretty much the same except at Christmas.Occasionally, when I bring things back out after Christmas I may move some stuff around.

Until I rtetired I have always worked full time - and horrific hours so I did not have time or energy for such things. I barely kept my head above water just doing what had to be done.

Honored Contributor

I buy things I love for specific places and then they are there.  I'm not into buying a lot of home decor, but have pieces I love and have loved for a long time.

We basically refurnished our house in the last couple of years, so I'm happy.  But the new pieces haven't strayed far from the basic look we love, so nothing drastic. I favor the large pieces to be basic, touches of color in chairs, bedspreads, but I've never been into the home decor thing.  I don't change out candlesticks, don't have floral arrangements, and things like that.  No plants either.

Honored Contributor

I have done both.  Yesterday the living room carpet was shampooed and the furniture rearranged.  It looks like a new room.  I like to keep things moving, but haven't kept up with it.  I rarely change the pictures, but will change out what's on the tables or mantel.

Valued Contributor

One of the problems I have is that I want to make changes sometimes but I have pieces I've received as gifts and feel that I can't get rid of them even though I am sick of looking at them.  

Respected Contributor

For me, it's both.  The larger furnishings stay in the same place because that's how they work best.  Some decor items stay in place, again, because that's how they work the best, like on my bedside tables.  Seasonal non-holiday items and holiday decor get used differently every year because I get inspired in different ways each year.  

I was thinking, though, just the other day, how much easier it would be if I had a specific plan for each item and used that plan each year.  If I did that, I would get rid of many items and be even more careful about purchasing new items.  My problem is that I can't decide which items I like best to be able to decide which items would be donated...lol.

Respected Contributor

I pretty much stick to what we've put in place and has worked for us and my family knows not to give me "knick knacks" that I'll feel obligated to display (and which collect dust) because I HATE dusting.  Hence, I have a fairly minimalist decor.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

One of the problems I have is that I want to make changes sometimes but I have pieces I've received as gifts and feel that I can't get rid of them even though I am sick of looking at them.  

I can feel your pain!

I too, have many things that were expensive, given to me as gifts by people close to me, and I feel bad disposing of them. I try to work them out into the decor every so often, most of them I do like, and I am very appreciative to have received them, but there is just too much sometimes. 

I have found myself sneaking some of them, piece by piece, into the donation boxes over the last few years. I don't really miss anything I have moved on, but I still feel kind of bad for doing it.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kardi wrote:

I can feel your pain!

I too, have many things that were expensive, given to me as gifts by people close to me, and I feel bad disposing of them. I try to work them out into the decor every so often, most of them I do like, and I am very appreciative to have received them, but there is just too much sometimes. 

I have found myself sneaking some of them, piece by piece, into the donation boxes over the last few years. I don't really miss anything I have moved on, but I still feel kind of bad for doing it.

I taught myself not to feel guilty about disposing of gifts I don't like.  I savor the kindness and love with which the gift was given, but the actual item doesn't have to live with me.  It can live in someone else's home.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Perhaps you could try moving those items around to different spots in your house, and over time, just remove them. 

I have done this for the last two or three years with two Christmas decorations I received as gifts.   They are just not my style, but I don't want to offend or seem unappreciative.  I don't want those items to have one chosen spot, so that when I eventually stop using them, it won't be so obvious.  Just a thought.