Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree 

Yes, the house was in pristine condition and only 11 years old.  We built it so it was a one family home.  We had everything professionally maintained inside and out.

It is really not a starter home, based on 'starter home' prices in our area.  

When we put our home on the market all the Real Estate agents that came through to view the house they all complimented how wonderful it was that we had "the entire interior repainted in decorator colors."  The house had not been painted since the week before we moved in 11 yrs ago.  I picked out all the colors before the house was built and we hired a team to paint everything before we moved in.   I always use the same formula 1 coat tinted primer, 2 coats of paint.   For 11 years people always thought I had just refreshed to the paint!!  

PS - I would NEVER pay to repaint a house to sell.  I want to enjoy it!  Let the new owners pay to paint!

Honored Contributor
I’ve done it both ways.

By the way, when moving into an apartment even changing curtains or blinds isn’t always an allowed option.
Honored Contributor

Our house had been lived in three years when we bought it. We only painted the kitchen and living room at first. Kept all the cellular shades too. Took awhile before flooring needed to be replaced.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends. After my divorce I had to sell my home and then bought a wonderful town home that was absolutely perfect for me. I loved everything about it and had no need to change anything. The couple who bought my home didn't change a thing either when they moved in - in fact, they bought some of my furniture when I had an estate sale before I moved!

Esteemed Contributor

I drove by my previous house a a couple of months ago.  They changed the siding.  Awful colors.  I made this comment to someone who made the remark you should never go back to your old home for just the reason that you wouldn't like the changes.  I didn't.  Dark brown siding, turquoise shutters, red roof.  Good Lord!  LM

Honored Contributor

I don't know how anyone can move into a house without a fresh coat of paint on just about everything.

That being said, when we moved a few years ago the people who bought our old house invited us back to see what they had done to it.  I think I had done my best acting ever when I oohed and ahhed over their work.  IMO they had ruined a lot of the home's really nice features with their changes.  Sometimes it's best not to go back.

Respected Contributor

I never went back but the new owners made the news when the man killed his wife's boyfriend in my old kitchen. He wasn't jailed for what happened. Obviously the man shouldn't have been there. Trespassing? 

Respected Contributor

We are in our eighth house, not including rentals.  Out of those there was just one that we didn't change at all.  I really didn't want to be there, my husband was transferred.  We had to live in a hotel for a month before we could get into the house.  I remember the first day in the hotel, looking out the window at planes taking off and wishing I were on one.  We were in that location for 3 years and I hated every minute.  Even though I met people, and got involved in a civic organization, I never felt at home.  

Honored Contributor

While it is flattering the new owners admired your taste and style it must have felt funny to see nothing changed.  When I moved I painted, put up my own curtains and of course furnished and decorated in my taste.  

With that being said, I could move into many of the homes shown by posters without change if it is my style and suits my taste.

Honored Contributor

We moved out of our first house many, many years ago. An older couple bought it. I saw that it was for sale last year and looked at the photos of the inside that were posted online and was shocked to see that the only thing they changed was the carpeting!! All of the little extras we did were still there. The same wallpaper was still up in the kitchen!! Our finished basement (that we did) was still exactly the same! I guess we did one heck of a job way back in the 80's! 

"Pure Michigan"