Respected Contributor

I had to go back to our old house we just moved out of earlier this year as a package was delivered there.  It is less than a mile so it was easy to just swing by and pick it up.

The new owners are so lovely and had a few questions so they invited me in.  I was so strange- other than move in they did NOTHING to the house.  Same paint and window coverings.

It took me by surprise.  I have never moved into a home until it was repainted and changed to my style.  I like our home to reflect us and have continuity with our furniture and decor.  Even when I had an apartment I changed or added window curtains etc.

I think she noticed my face and explained that they loved my taste and they plan on keeping all the current paint colors throughout the entire house (17 colors in all).

I guess they are going to replace all their furniture to coordinate with the house?!?!? 

When you move(d) do you paint, change the curtains, etc to make it YOUR home?

Trusted Contributor

That's a very big compliment to you, but I agree, it would freak me out a bit!

Esteemed Contributor

That is weird.  I have not moved many times in my adult life, but absolutely the whole place gets cleaned and painted beforehand (windows included).   I'm not a big window dressing person.  I only have blinds as I love brightness and have them wide open during the day.........Most beautiful when it's snowing here in the northeast.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  That is strange that they didn't change anything!  We went back by invitation to our home in MN and found it extremly depressing.  A very old couple moved from White Cross and bought our home in Baxter so they would be close to the hospital.  This was such a clean beautiful little doll house even when we bought it but upon entering it was obvious that they were hoarders!  We are now on our 17th home and pray this is our last until we need assisted living but I would never go back to another home that we sold.

JMHO

Great thread idea, thanks Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

It varied so much: the current home ( 47 yrs. ) had to be repainted as every room was a different strong color that took several coats of yellow to cover. Shades and blinds replaced with traverse rod-pulled curtains and carpeting added.

Mountain place: was yellow already and needed some window finishing touches...long scarves to outline or drapes to blend with comforters. ( To be sold as is. )

FL condo: white paint stayed as did the thick-coated white wash finish on the key furnishings. Drapes too heavy in this climate.  Linens donated to animal surgery center.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Nice compliment.  They like the colors, styles and everything must have been recent and in pristine condition.  When younger people buy house, often they are using up all their savings.  They don't have the funds to paint and paper if it isn't a necessity.  Also, it's their forever home so, what's the rush?  When we bought the house that we raised our girls in, I was a sahm so we cleaned from top to bottom, we took our time with the painting.  Room by room over several years.  We never bought a home that came wit window treatments, so we always had to do that.   

Respected Contributor

Several years ago we bought a house and after moving in found something that belonged to the former owners.  I called the former owner and she stopped by to pick it up.   I invited her in and when she saw that we had removed the custom-made heavy drapes (they just aren’t my style - I like lots of light), I could tell she was upset and she quickly left.  So I felt bad but to answer your question, yes I do change any house I move into to make it my home. 

Respected Contributor

We moved 3 years ago from a 1500 square foot house to a 7500 square foot house with the intention to make it our own just like our old house.  We did remodel to the studs 3 bedrooms and repainted the adjoining bedrooms with new carpet.  We had to replace the pool equipment, fix the sprinklers twice and do major pipe work going to the house twice which ate up a lot of money.  We want to paint the interior of the house on the main floor but it's over $7k so it's not in the budget right now.  Once the painting is done, I will change out the window coverings.  The previous owners style is not mine and I will definitely be changing it.  It's just taking longer than I expected.

Esteemed Contributor

I also went to pick up a package at my previous home and it was pouring so I was invited in. Nothing looked the same, the living room was huge and I used it the long way and had a sitting/reading area at one end but they were using all of the living room with lots of sitting facing the TV. 

Im glad they made it there own. 

Valued Contributor

The last two times I moved I didn't change the paint colors in the house. Thankfully, the previous owner had the house painted the way I liked it; light yellow color throughout the house. 

Before I moved into my current home I had made an offer on a home (offer fell through) that had different paint colors in each room and nothing was coordinated. I recalled looking into having the house painted right after closing before moving in.