Esteemed Contributor

Agree with others, here in the cold north nobody would store wood like this indoors for all the reasons mentioned.

It's like someone in Manhattan dreams up an idea of what it's like to live rural and heat with wood.

While it's an attractive look, it's not reality.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Honored Contributor

Stupidest idea ever.   Anyone born in my area of West Virginia wouldn’t do this.    

Granted, by December I will have more wood than this in my basement for my wood burning stove.   Even with a backup whole house generator, we have a backup heat source.  

Our wood isn’t brought inside until cold weather hits; it is stacked on a concrete floor against cinder block walls, and our basement is treated monthly for bugs, so we don’t have problems with critters carried in on the wood.   I would not want the wood mess I sweep off my concrete, and burn in my stove, on that nice wood floor.   

Honored Contributor

Critter & fire hazard

Trusted Contributor

We store all our wood outside...in the wood shed.   We bring maybe 2 days worth on the porch in the wood holder...bring it into the house as we need to put it in the woodstove...

Last year a friend brought a bunch inside his house..as the wood warmed a bunch of wasps flew out all over inside his house ....

We’ve cut and split 5 full cords so far this summer...it was a very hot summer here in the SW but it pays off during the winter...DW

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add to what I said earlier about termites and bugs.  I used to have firewood delivered and store it in my garage to keep it dry.  The person who delivered it told me to never keep it in my garage or close to the house.  He told me to keep it as far away from the house as possible because of termites, spiders and other bugs.  I quit keeping it in my garage after that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Ummm, NO.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

It's an interesting concept and I would consider if I lived in a remote area that had snow most of the year and this was the only way to store the wood. I agree with other posters about the pile being a haven for bugs and termites...especially since that looks like wood flooring. 

Respected Contributor

it's really pretty to look at, but a big NO because of all the reasons already mentioned.   does make me a little nostalgic for the woodstove i had up north.  my wood was stored in a woodshed, tho.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe the homeowner would even consider something like this, let alone do it. It's the worst possible scenario for termites and mice. I'm truly shaking my head!