Honored Contributor

is a real dilema for most of us.

It seems we either have very little (or maybe a lot of different areas of storage, but many are super small) or we have a lot, then fill it with things we don't really need or use. 

If I were designing my space, I'd want a huge (I mean huge) linen closet in the upstairs hallway. I grew up in big old homes and they sometimes had entire walls with deep built in linen closets with massive drawers underneath. I'd want linen storage in each bathroom in addition to the hall unit. My baths have only the cabinet under the sink for storage, and it makes having linens in the bathroom a challenge.

I have no kitchen pantry, and I'd love to have one. I'd really rather have a big butler's pantry, but here again, it is just a dream!

I have a lot of cabinet space in my kitchen for the size of the room, BUT.....a lot of that space is huge cupboards on the bottom, that run really deep into the corners of the cabinetry. Tons of room in there, but you have to get on the floor, with a flashlight, contort your body to half crawl back into the cabinet, and use something like a wooden spoon to pull things toward you, as you can't begin to reach clear back into the far reaches of the space. So space yes, but not practical or easily accessed. 

Clothing closets. Very small and narrow, the kind with the bifold doors. The one in the master has maybe 9 foot of hang rod maximum, and the others aren't much better. I don't expect one of those walk in closets with furniture to relax on, but a nice functional walk in would be great!

So what are your storage challenges in your living space, or are you one that is lucky to have well designed and adequate storage?

And are you like many of us, where whatever storage space given, seem to fill it up!?

Honored Contributor

Re: Storage space in the home

What I would love is a kitchen pantry....I have enough cupboard space but the pantry would be nice, and I also have one of those deep cupboards....the builder should have put in a lazy susan on the bottom cupboard but didn't.

DH and I both have our own double closets, enough room in them but I would like walk in closets with space for other storage to eliminate the chest of drawers.

One last thing would be a linen closet upstairs.

Not complaining, it's just a 'wish' list that I know will never happen.

Respected Contributor

I couldn't live in a home without adequate or functional storage space.  

It's just a deal breaker for me.  I've lived in a small condo, apartments, a townhome, and a large home.  

I didn't always have a pantry or a walk in closet.  I guess if I didn't have adequate storage, I wouldn't accumulate so many things.  

Honored Contributor

Not having adequate storage would be a deal breaker for me.  Our condo has 2 walk in closets, one in the master that is very large.  Plus a hallway linen closet and a large closet in the second bedroom.  Storage in the bathrooms is limited but not a major problem.  Many cabinets in the kitchen including 3 "lazy susans" in the corners (I know about those corner kitchen cabinets that are completely useless) I have no intention of accumulating so much that I run out of space!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

is a real dilema for most of us.

It seems we either have very little (or maybe a lot of different areas of storage, but many are super small) or we have a lot, then fill it with things we don't really need or use. 

If I were designing my space, I'd want a huge (I mean huge) linen closet in the upstairs hallway. I grew up in big old homes and they sometimes had entire walls with deep built in linen closets with massive drawers underneath. I'd want linen storage in each bathroom in addition to the hall unit. My baths have only the cabinet under the sink for storage, and it makes having linens in the bathroom a challenge.

I have no kitchen pantry, and I'd love to have one. I'd really rather have a big butler's pantry, but here again, it is just a dream!

I have a lot of cabinet space in my kitchen for the size of the room, BUT.....a lot of that space is huge cupboards on the bottom, that run really deep into the corners of the cabinetry. Tons of room in there, but you have to get on the floor, with a flashlight, contort your body to half crawl back into the cabinet, and use something like a wooden spoon to pull things toward you, as you can't begin to reach clear back into the far reaches of the space. So space yes, but not practical or easily accessed. 

Clothing closets. Very small and narrow, the kind with the bifold doors. The one in the master has maybe 9 foot of hang rod maximum, and the others aren't much better. I don't expect one of those walk in closets with furniture to relax on, but a nice functional walk in would be great!

So what are your storage challenges in your living space, or are you one that is lucky to have well designed and adequate storage?

And are you like many of us, where whatever storage space given, seem to fill it up!?

What you said,  to a T. If we ever move to our dream home, those are storage features that it must contain. Until then, we’ll work with what we’ve got. Our house has a galley kitchen, so storage is at a premium. To take maximum advantage of the space above the refrigerator and wall oven, I hired a company called Shelf Genie to convert them from standard cabinets to pull-out drawers. This makes it much easier to get stuff from them. I wrote the contents of each of those cabinets on an index card that I taped to the front of the drawer. I still need to use a stepping stool, but at least now I can reach everything in those cabinets when I need them. They did something similar for the cabinet under the kitchen sink, but also attached a narrow shelf to the left side of the pull-out drawer for smaller items like silver polish jars, extra sponges, etc. All of these pull-out drawers can be removed if necessary. They’re a national company and will install shelving in any room in your house. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My house has no basement, only a crawl space which has flooded in the past so I keep nothing down there.  

My attic has no pull down ladder, so nothing up there either.

All my closets are teeny tiny and jammed packed.

I do have a small pantry but that is also pretty much packed to the gills.

Small linen closet in the hallway upstairs is mostly packed with all my lotions, potions.

Oh how I would love more storage..............

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Sounds like you need some of these-

Image result for retractable corner  cabinet storage rack

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, this last year, we got those wire racks that have shelves.  One each on two walls. One is for my large kitchen appliances that are used now and then. The other is my extra cupboard stuff.  It's perfect for us.  Going up and down the steps isn't great while I have this arthritis going on, but it's a necessity.  I still like the shelves.  We needed them!

I read something the other day, it said "if you have to find a storage place, maybe you have too much stuff".  How did they know me?  

Honored Contributor

I've had storage problems in the past.  In the current house, there are no storage problems.  I have lots of kitchen cabinets, an island and a pantry; a coat closet by each door; a linen and walk in closet in the master bath.  Moving from a high cost of living state made it possible.  More house, less money.  I don't miss the days of having to empty the closet twice a year to swap seasons.

Honored Contributor

I live alone, so this wouldn't work for a family, but when I find myself running out of storage it means I have too much stuff.   Whether it be pantry items, clothing, tools, you name it.

Time to purge & clean