Esteemed Contributor

Re: Storage space in the home

@Goldenmoher that's a perfect solution for a deep shelf.  I find bending over and reaching to the back of a shelf is becoming a pain in the you know what, as I get older.  I just stored some guest towels in the bottom cabinet in my bath; I much prefer eye level spaces but this was the only available spot.

Honored Contributor

Our current home has a ton of storage.Since our ceilings are 10 1/2 ft high my DH put extra shelving in every closet. My kitchen is 20 x 14 and has cabinets all the way around the top & bottom. In those corner cabinets DH built in drawers to utilize those deep spaces.We also have his & hers walk in closets.Unfortunately, our new home will not have as much built in storage but we will put on our thinking caps and make maximum use of what we have. It is my experience that when you have a ton of storage you just fill it up with useless stuff.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I  mention this only because it seems some people here are trying to live with deep and/or low cabinets where it's hard to reach  or store what you need. 

DH and I downsized to a kitchen which is a fraction of the size we had before, and we got amazingly inconvenient and useless cabinet space.

I hired Shelf Genie, one of probably many vendors out there in the world, to install pull-out drawers in many of my cabinets.  Above the wall oven, partitions were installed so I can vertically  store fry pans, bake pans and cookie sheets.

I truly do not know what I would do without the convenience and extra storage space these modifications have made, not to mention easier accessibility for an older person who doesn't want to bend way down to reach something far in the back of a cabinet.

It wasn't cheap, but  has been worth the money.

Honored Contributor

I agree it is a miracle how well putting drawers into cabinets makes them more useful. In our new house I hope to get DH to put them in the island,so I can store dishes in there as it is where we will eat & is right next to the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

Storage---the bane of my existence!!!!! I have none to speak of  in my house, or rather maybe I have too much stuff that needs a place to live. I need to purge  but that is daunting too. One step at a time, right???

Esteemed Contributor

In my big house, I had the best storage. In my foyer, I had 3 full size closets to the right. One I used for guest coats, the other for all my holiday decorations and the 3rd had all my boxes, ribbons, gift bags, wrapping paper, scissors and tape. I loved it. Every bedroom had a walk in closet with built in shelves. I had 2 attics and a huge mud room. 

Downsized 2 years ago, but I only brought what I need, so my attic is empty and all the dressers in the guest and sons bedroom are empty. All they hold are extra pillows, sheets and blankets. The guest closet has all my winter coats and my sons has keepsakes of him growing up. For the garage I bought 3 racks that I filled with bins and everything is in its place. Master bathroom has a nice linen closet and my kitchen has a good size pantry. Took me awhile to get used to the smaller space but I made it work. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

is a real dilema for most of us.

It seems we either have very little (or maybe a lot of different areas of storage, but many are super small) or we have a lot, then fill it with things we don't really need or use. 

If I were designing my space, I'd want a huge (I mean huge) linen closet in the upstairs hallway. I grew up in big old homes and they sometimes had entire walls with deep built in linen closets with massive drawers underneath. I'd want linen storage in each bathroom in addition to the hall unit. My baths have only the cabinet under the sink for storage, and it makes having linens in the bathroom a challenge.

I have no kitchen pantry, and I'd love to have one. I'd really rather have a big butler's pantry, but here again, it is just a dream!

I have a lot of cabinet space in my kitchen for the size of the room, BUT.....a lot of that space is huge cupboards on the bottom, that run really deep into the corners of the cabinetry. Tons of room in there, but you have to get on the floor, with a flashlight, contort your body to half crawl back into the cabinet, and use something like a wooden spoon to pull things toward you, as you can't begin to reach clear back into the far reaches of the space. So space yes, but not practical or easily accessed. 

Clothing closets. Very small and narrow, the kind with the bifold doors. The one in the master has maybe 9 foot of hang rod maximum, and the others aren't much better. I don't expect one of those walk in closets with furniture to relax on, but a nice functional walk in would be great!

So what are your storage challenges in your living space, or are you one that is lucky to have well designed and adequate storage?

And are you like many of us, where whatever storage space given, seem to fill it up!?

@Mominohio  Your description of the deep kitchen cabinets is exactly the reason I had all drawers installed when my kitchen was redone three or so years ago, very long, deep drawers for the pots, pans, dishes and glasses, more shallow for utensils and silverware, so nice to just pull a drawer out and see everything and use everything.  I found things in the bottom cabinets that I hadn't seen in decades, lol, and now use them.  I could never reach past the first one and a half shelves in the upper cabinets without a ladder, and who wants to drag a ladder around, so I hardly ever used anything on the upper shelves.

My SIL has a butler's pantry, always wanted one of those, so much space and she can keep all the mess in there, pet dishes, prep area, storage for all extras and items that aren't used every day, but are needed once in a while, coffee maker, and on and on.

I do happen to have a large, long linen closet, but only one or two shelves are used for that, the rest has decor items and silver. I really should sell as I never use it any longer, and I could use another closet like this, but that isn't happening.

When we bought this house, much larger than the previous, I told DH that we would just barely fit, thinking about my collections and decor, and his head snapped around with such a look on his face, LOL.

I had to get steel shelving units for the laundry room and I store lock & lock, cookie sheets, gardening hand tools, candle jars, etc., etc.  No matter what, in life, there is never enough room or enough money, lol.

Honored Contributor

We have enough storage space. We store holiday decorations and lots of stuff in the basement which helps a lot. Our home has no attic or walk in closets. Each bedroom has a sliding door closet. We have a small coat closet in the foyer and one small closet in each bathroom. There are plenty of cabinets in our kitchen including a decent sized pantry. Our garage is for our cars and gardening supplies. I see many people in my neighborhood that use their entire garage for storage and don’t have room for their cars in there. 

Honored Contributor

In all actuality, I have enough storage space, some of it, however, is just awkward to access, so I am considering how to make better use from these areas, whether that means re-configuring or different usage I haven't determined yet. It's always something, right? lol
"To each their own, in all things".