Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Idea for big comforter please

Come to think of it I tried them many many years ago & they never sealed correctly.

Im going to check out BB&B tomorrow, HSN & Q.  My friend just told me there is a cleaner that will clean it & seal for $80😳 What in gold wrapping????

Thank you all! 

Valued Contributor

I put some in the space bags and put under the bed -- they expanded and I couldn't get them back out!!  YIKES!  I now store blankets and quilts under the mattress as mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s

Oh no can't have that, my kitties would suffocate! They think under the beds are their domain!

Actually, I came up (hubby idea) rearrange my walk-in closet and put in large storage container that is now empty as I cleaned out all the winter clothes I will never wear! We had 3 winter days in FL this year☃️

I am am going to donate to the pet shelter excess towels, blankets & anything else they can use. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen those Space Bags cubes advertised.  I think they fit in some kind of container.  The Space Bags always leak and reinflate but if they're in a container, they're not going anywhere. 

This has been my experience as well.

I have tried several brands and styles of those bags that you either push the air out, or remove the air with a vacuum. In all cases, they 'leak' and the air gets back in overtime (and not that much time, usually for me, just weeks to a couple of months).

Sometimes they loose all their vacuum, and other time, they only partially inflate. Either way, the space saving feature isn't really all there. I do appreciate things are being kept out of moisture and dust, but it doesn't help as much over time, with space in the closet. 

I've never tried the ones that come with the cubes to then store the sealed bags inside. I would imagine that even if the bag did loose some of it's vacuum, the cube would hold it all together.

Anything stored in those vacuum sealed bags is one wrinkled mess when you get it out, and needs to be run through the dryer at least, ad sometimes washed to bring it back to it's original fullness. 

Other ideas for storage are those collapsible ottomans and benches, but in my experience they have a smell to them (I have several different brands, and use these things all over the house). Linens I store in them pick up that smell, and need to be washed out or hung outside to air out when removing them for the season. I haven't tried placing a dryer sheet or a bar of soap inside to see if that would take away that smell, but it would be worth a try. 

Honored Contributor

Unless they have improved those space bags, they did not work very well for me, they ended up losing their air tightness.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Some space bags worked for me, others didn't.  I decided no more comforters for me in king size.  

I like the idea of storing blankets and quilts under a mattress though.

My current king size comforter is folded and sitting on a couch in a spare room waiting to go to the laundry.  I have no good solution for how to store it.  I'm sure it would flatten to a pancake under a mattress.  I think once it's cleaned I'll fold it as tightly as I can and try to squeeze it onto a spare shelf.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen those Space Bags cubes advertised.  I think they fit in some kind of container.  The Space Bags always leak and reinflate but if they're in a container, they're not going anywhere. 

I've got some in storage that have been sealed for years with no leaks at all. I just checked yesterday and still no leaks.

Respected Contributor

I have had really good luck with the ones that you roll or press the air out . The vacumn ones have leaked.

Trusted Contributor

I also do the roll up like sleeping bag and when I get it rolled, tie ribbon, shoe string, something like that to tie it tight. Both ends.

The first DOWN comforter I purchased was bout 16yrs ago.  I have 3 now.  I put them in washer and dryer(it takes awhile).  Never had trouble, do have trouble with the down SUBSITUTE.   King size comforter,  small washer and dryer. tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

I have a set of 2 Space Bags that I ordered from the Q several years ago and I store all of my comforters,blankets ,etc in them when the seasons change. I also store sweaters in them. They fit under the bed or on a closet shelf. The exterior is canvas with handles. 

The item # is V 33698.