Honored Contributor

My vacuum cleaner smells like a stinky dog. I have a Shark bagless. I washed out the waste cup but the thing still stinks when I turn it on. It's probably the hoses and I'm not about to clean those. Maybe I need to use some kind of deodorizing product. Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

I would spritz it with Don Astlet's x/o spray. It could be that the vacuum sucked up a sting bug. I had that happen with my Dyson. Hope this helps the problem.  

Honored Contributor

I do own a dog.

Valued Contributor

Try sprinkling some baking soda on floor/carpet and then suck it up with vacuum.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    I swear by the Don Aslett product V36873.  Also check Amazon for best price. 

It even gets that dreaded musty smell out of new denim jeans.  You could spray your hoses but be sure to let them dry before using.

You gotta have this stuff if you have a dog. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

My brother vacuumed up used cat litter, then put away the vacuum without emptying it. 

Try   Glade Carpet Neutralizer

Comes in choice of scent.

Sprinkle it down, wait a bit, vacuum the carpet as usual.

As the scent crystals go through the vacuum it helps remove lingering odors inside the motor, filters, hose.

If you need something more powerful, Fresh Wave makes a line of products for King Kong sized tenacious stinks. Their products neuteralize our perception of the odor rather than relying on out-stinking the stink.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee - Can we assume you've cleaned the filter regularly, as required?  Other than that, I'd try some of the suggestions already made.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SilleeMee - Can we assume you've cleaned the filter regularly, as required?  Other than that, I'd try some of the suggestions already made.

@Venezia 

Oh yes. I'm a stickler when it comes to clean filters. I have a fairly large stash of them in my closet. I change the sponge and felt each time I use the vac. The HEPA gets replaced twice a year. I do everything possible to keep it clean yet the dang thing still reeks like a smelly dog when I turn it on.Woman Tongue 

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately you do need to clean it, I know you don't want to do that but all the sprays and powders just "mask" the smell, it's not going to go away.

I have a dyson and cleaned the brushes, cleaned the filter, it's washable and cleaned the bagless cup container, does not smell anymore.

Dogs are dogs and that's why we have them but unfortunately they come with a lot of work.

Pine Sol or Lysol does the job.

Now for the couch cushions, Lysol Laundry Sanitizer works well, there's also a Tide drop in odor eliminator which both work with your laundry soap..  There's also OdoBan but I can't stand the smell.

I give him a bath and a week later he smells like a dog.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee if you find something that works, please post! I have the same brand and type of vacuum, and even though I clean it just like you do, it still stinks when I turn it on.