Honored Contributor

They have gone to ground in my area during mild winters and when my dog would go outside to use the bathroom, they would spray her.  They perceive anything that moves as the enemy and they emit that awful odor in a spray form, much like a skunk and their odor is even worse than a skunk.  My dog would smell so much like stink bugs that the groomer could hardly stand to bathe her and they were unable to remove the odor.  It lasted about 3 years.  For some reason, they are no longer there or she knows and does not get into them but if they get hold of your pets, the odor is unbearable.  It's like your pet is wearing stink bugs.  The gift that keeps on giving.

Honored Contributor

You kill them with soap and water.  Place water in a spray bottle and add liquid dish soap and spray away.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

We had an invasion of them a couple years ago.  They are horrible.  I found that they like white.  Anything white attracted them and they are particularly bad this time of year.  I have white shutters and white trim in my house so they loved me.  I also found they are attracted to light (probably the warmth) but they hate garlic, so I put garlic inside all my window sills to keep them from entering at the windows but occasionally there were some at the tops of the windows and around the doors, so I would see them (never swat them!!!). 

If you swat them, they smell up the joint and their friends smell them and come to their rescue.  I would lead them onto white napkins near the areas where I kept lights on.  Once I had them all on the napkins (and they felt safe), I would hold one hand on the toilet flush lever and the napkin the other, dump and flush, and get about 10 at a time that way. Also, as I understand if they feel your touch in catching or swatting them, they emit that wonderful aroma, so try to lead them onto the napkin and do not touch them or grasp them.  Just let them guide you through this process to the toilet.  

If you have a master gardener club or a county agent from the agriculture department in your area, they might have better methods but this is what this master gardener came up with based on available methods versus poisons, etc.

I prefer the garlic and catch/flush method over swatting because they stink worse when you swat and it encourages more to come your way.  We had thousands (at my house alone).  We do live on the banks of a creek and there is kudzu growing all along the edges of the embankment behind our property, and my understanding is that kudzu is one of their favorite habitats.  I spent half of each day catching and flushing them for weeks on end  Please encourage them onto something/flushable and white and send them on their merry, stinking way. 

@Nonametoday wrote:

We had an invasion of them a couple years ago.  They are horrible.  I found that they like white.  Anything white attracted them and they are particularly bad this time of year.  I have white shutters and white trim in my house so they loved me.  I also found they are attracted to light (probably the warmth) but they hate garlic, so I put garlic inside all my window sills to keep them from entering at the windows but occasionally there were some at the tops of the windows and around the doors, so I would see them (never swat them!!!). 

If you swat them, they smell up the joint and their friends smell them and come to their rescue.  I would lead them onto white napkins near the areas where I kept lights on.  Once I had them all on the napkins (and they felt safe), I would hold one hand on the toilet flush lever and the napkin the other, dump and flush, and get about 10 at a time that way. Also, as I understand if they feel your touch in catching or swatting them, they emit that wonderful aroma, so try to lead them onto the napkin and do not touch them or grasp them.  Just let them guide you through this process to the toilet.  

If you have a master gardener club or a county agent from the agriculture department in your area, they might have better methods but this is what this master gardener came up with based on available methods versus poisons, etc.

I prefer the garlic and catch/flush method over swatting because they stink worse when you swat and it encourages more to come your way.  We had thousands (at my house alone).  We do live on the banks of a creek and there is kudzu growing all along the edges of the embankment behind our property, and my understanding is that kudzu is one of their favorite habitats.  I spent half of each day catching and flushing them for weeks on end  Please encourage them onto something/flushable and white and send them on their merry, stinking way. 

Thanks  for FYI. My Husband says to take a paper towel and dampen it so if they  let out the odor  the damp cloth absorbs it.  We had them so bad a few yrs ago, they would cling to the screens on my upstairs windows in the warm  autum afternoons. My Husband tokk an old shop vac and vacumed them off the windows . What a  mess !