Valued Contributor

Re: Stink Bugs are Back

[ Edited ]

We have had them pretty bad iin the last five years. My tactic is I start spraying a special insecticide around the porch and around the doors in mid to late August. This leaves a residue that kills them. Next I use painters tape to seal any small cracks around. I have a screen door that they like to get into. I rarely use that door so I seal it with the tape. Take it off when the stink bugs go away.

This year I purchase the bugzooka from amazon. I thought it was a silly contraption but I figured I would give it a try and it works out very well. I can get the ones that seem out of my reach. I have a bucket of water outdoors, I add a cap full of bleach and some Dawn detergent. I empty the bugzooka in the water and I wait until I get quite a few in the bucket, then I dump it down the drain. This mixture seems to kill them quickly.

Oh and don't leave anything out on your porch that they can crawl into and hang out for the winter. And be sure to seal up your attic.

Respected Contributor

i have never had the pleasure of meeting a stink bug lol.   i have lived GA where there was plenty of kudzu, but i don't remember any stink bugs.  

now i am in FL tho, and we have love bugs.  we are just starting our fall season (because we have them in the spring and in the fall).  they are more annoying than anything, except after you drive on the highway if you don't rinse the dead bugs off of your car, it will eat through your finish... so you do have to be careful in that respect.  

Honored Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

We have had them pretty bad iin the last five years. My tactic is I start spraying a special insecticide around the porch and around the doors in mid to late August. This leaves a residue that kills them. Next I use painters tape to seal any small cracks around. I have a screen door that they like to get into. I rarely use that door so I seal it with the tape. Take it off when the stink bugs go away.

This year I purchase the bugzooka from amazon. I thought it was a silly contraption but I figured I would give it a try and it works out very well. I can get the ones that seem out of my reach. I have a bucket of water outdoors, I add a cap full of bleach and some Dawn detergent. I empty the bugzooka in the water and I wait until I get quite a few in the bucket, then I dump it down the drain. This mixture seems to kill them quickly.

Oh and don't leave anything out on your porch that they can crawl into and hang out for the winter. And be sure to seal up your attic.

What insecticide do you use?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have them trying to get in.  This happens every Autumn and Spring.  We can't kill them because of the smell.  I just pick them up (with a tissue) flush down the toilet.  They say to keep a jar of soapy water and drop them in there. You have get over your squeamishness ad simply pick them up.

Kudzo and stink bugs go hand and hand.  We had some earlier this year, but we yanked them out.  So right now we're kudzo free.  No stink bugs yet right now. 

Valued Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

@laundrycat wrote:

Same thing going on here in NE Ohio.   It's like they want  in as they are clinging to my screen window.

I, too, live in NE Ohio and they are back and bigger than ever.  YUK!!!! docsgirl

I live in NE Ohio too and I had just made the comment about 2 weeks ago that I haven't seen any stinkbugs this year - well I spoke too soon - they are back!

Honored Contributor

Metro-DC area here.  Saw one on my screen door this morning.  Haven't seen them in a very long time.  Hope that's the only one!

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

And in full force and bigger than ever.  I've been killing them on my screen doors all day long, with a fly swatter.  I know they are trying to get inside for the winter.  Ugh.  I've tried every bug spray I know.  I think they are from outer space and indestructible. 

I've been living in our new house for 3 years and had my first, and hopefully last experience, with stink bugs a couple of months ago.  Just one day, they showed up out of the blue.  I do agree with other posters, they seem to be attracted to white because they would settle mostly on the white of my windows but I still had some on the house itself which isn't white.  I called the exterminators.  Was told to use a vaccum.  They were never inside my house, thank goodness.  I had posted here to inquire how to get ride of them.  I tried all the tricks...the garlic spray, the white foamy water, etc.  Got a bug zapper, that didn't help.  When nothing seemed to work, we just started squatting them.  And then a couple of days later, poof! they didn't come back.  Fingers crossed.  The exterminators told me they usually go away for the Fall season, though our experience was over the summer.  I hope reading your post doesn't mean I can expect them back.  I'll have my squatter at the ready!

Respected Contributor

My first and last experience with them was in the high desert of Colorado. Very arid and no kudzu, yet shortly after moving in to our new log home, we discovered it was infested with them. We got rid of them and sold the home many years ago, but to this day the smell is still in my memory....ugh. 😝

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954  Talstarr Professional Insecticide. I learned about this at the Stink Bug Forum. It is pricey, but effective. Make sure to use goggles and rubber gloves when handling. 

When they first came around, I only saw one or two on my porch and I thought it looked like a weird little bug but didn't pay much attention. Then one day I needed to get something from my attic. I had all my holiday ornamentss up there and they were in those big plastic tubs with lid. I also had a box up there where I had purchased something but wanted to keep the box in case I needed to return it. I usually never keep cardboard in the house. Well the box smelled awful.

When I went to move a tub there were all these bugs nestled between everything.There must have been dozens up there. I think they put their scent on the cardboard and it attracted other bugs. The vent in my attic had a slot in it and that is how they were getting in. I screened that off. Got rid of the bugs and donated or threw out most everything that was in my attic. There is absolutely nothing there and so far, no bugs. It is a big attic too, and it was great for storage.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LillyBee2 

They're not that common in my southern neck of the woods, SE coastal GA, I rarely see one.

I also have a creek behind my house, but no kudzu, lots of trees, bushes though.

I'm on an island off the coast of GA, so maybe they don't like salt air or water?

We have a bigger problem with love bugs coming up from FL, but at least they don't stink  and aren't creepy looking, although they're a bear to get off you car's paint job.

@KingstonsMom   In Georgia, stinkbugs are creating lots of problems.  Perhaps your island has not been invaded ---- yet.  Love bugs just mess up your windshield and dirty up your car but that is easily cleaned.  Not so with stink bugs.