Trusted Contributor

@caroln242  It looks like the all over design is a metallic paint, at least to me. That's also what makes it pop.

Trusted Contributor

With the traditional style cherry furniture and rug, what the room needs is wainscoting to add interest to the walls.  Lose the two little corner tables and flower arrangements.  Add a narrow console table or low cabinet, a larger piece of wall art or a grouping of pictures above the console table/cabinet.  Forget about stenciling, perhaps wallpaper above the wainscoting or paint a more dramatic color taken from the rug.  Google traditional dining room decor photos to get ideas on what would work in your room size.

Respected Contributor

If you would like something simple for the one wall this is what I would suggest and it's not a stencil.  Paint the single wall in a color of your choice in a matte, satin or eggshell finish.  Once dry, use tape to do stripes, either, vertical, horizontal or diagonal in the same color but in a gloss finish or a semi-gloss finish.  You can do the stripes in different widths and work out a pattern.  I've done this a number of times and it is very effective and not time consuming and very easy with lovely results!

Honored Contributor

I stenciled my downstairs which was the kitchen, diningroom, family room and livingroom, powder room----when we bulit it in 1986, but just did borders around the the ceiling---it looked pretty good. Took awhile to finish tho--you need to practice as it can go awful with smudges and mis- aligned patterns. things need to be measured and as straight as possible and we all know walls and corners in houses are not straight. and not cheap to buy the paints and patterns and good brushes--don't buy cheap brushes. I hung small pictures on the wall in the owder room and then stenciled a ribbon to look like it was hung from that. I stenciled a wooded coffee table with vines and leaves all around the top edges of it--had a stencil of a persian rug with the tassels that I wanted to do on that table but never got around to it. I did flower pots too--stenciled many roles of wallpaper border for my moms bedroom while watching DallasWoman Very Happy back in the day--really enjoyed it and got very good at it.

Esteemed Contributor

I would try it on one wall or as a border at the top of each wall. Give yourself time to stare at the effect in different lighting, times of day. I find this works the best for me when I stress about paint color, etc. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I like the one that looks like wallpaper.  Frankly, it's easier to wallpaper to get that look than it is to do an all-over stencil.

Valued Contributor
Just note that if you do stencil, it can be time consuming to tape everything, measure perfectly (knowing most walls are not square or evenly matched), getting all the supplies if you don't have them, prepping the area, etc. If you have the time & commitment - - go for it!!

I'm in the middle of a paint project myself & even having all the tools etc. (I'm just changing wall color & trim) -- it's hours upon hours upon hours!!

If you're looking for a cheap quick fix, maybe try adding a chair molding or adding artwork or wall decor to your taste. Or quick hanging wallpaper. Your room looks pretty traditional so keep to that style unless you're going for a drastic change!!

Good luck!
Honored Contributor

@caroln242    One thing I can say is it looks like a lot of work.  How about wallpaper?  Or how about a different color paint for the whole room?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 

I think the stencils are pretty, but it doesn’t look as if your room is as large as those shown with the stencils.  Stencils might appear to shrink your space.

I think post #12  @River Song    has good advice, except I would use a horizontal mirror on the back wall.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I've never stenciled, but I think doing it on one wall is fine. I don't think a classic design would clash with your furnishings. 

I also like the idea of posters who suggested painting that one wall a different color. I also think you need 2 small pieces of art on both sides of your wall art or one larger landscape style piece to fill the wall better. 

Good luck with your project! Let us know what you decide. Would love to see photos when you're finished.