Super Contributor

There are so many steam cleaners when I googled it, I thought I'd ask her for personal opinions.  Anyone use an upright steam cleaner that successfully cleaned the grout on your tiled floors. 

Recommendations greatly appreciated

Honored Contributor

Re: Steam cleaners

[ Edited ]

@DitzydoriI've had many over the years but use them so much that most only lasted 2 or 3 years.  I have had a Wagner steam cleaner now for 6 years and it's still working great.  It's a cannister.  The upright seems too cumbersome for cleaning everywhere and with most you can't use it for kitchen fixtures,  bathroom tubs, showers, etc.   I also would suggest only getting one with a stainless steel tank and not just one that just heats the water fast which doesn't disinfect or clean as well because it isn't hot enough - plus it will last longer.

Honored Contributor

We had a carpet cleaning company come in and steam clean our carpet and tile floors. In some areas where the grout was very bad they had to use an acid solution to clean it.They are beautiful now, look brand new. Didn't cost much - $400 they cleaned every floor in the house except the laminate in the hallway.It was worth every cent.

Valued Contributor

@Pookwrote:

@DitzydoriI've had many over the years but use them so much that most only lasted 2 or 3 years.  I have had a Wagner steam cleaner now for 6 years and it's still working great.  It's a cannister.  The upright seems too cumbersome for cleaning everywhere and with most you can't use it for kitchen fictures,  bathroom tubs, showers, etc.   I also would suggest only getting one with a stainless steel tank and not just one that's heats the water fast which doesn't disinfect or clean as well because it isn't hot enough - plus it will last longer.

I too have a Wagner canister steam cleaner and wouldn't have a small hand held or just a floor steamer again.  The canister one has lasted much longer and much more powerful and versatile than the others.  It's like an indoor pressure washer Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori  I forget to say that it does do a great job on my bathroom tiled floor and grout everywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by my Hahn floor steamer. It doea an the job. Now, for your grout question. I have an older home with tile, ceramic and marble floors in addition to other floor surfaces. Grout lines can get really dirty. The Hahn does a good job on normal weekly dirt. If you have discolored grout then you might need a grout cleaner. I have used this on my kitchen floor. I do have a Stanley full size steamer for major cleaning projects. This is the model that you can sit on the floor or carry like a backpack. I've used it on the tile in the bathroom showers, etc. and for a few DIY projects.

Super Contributor

Thanks ladies for all your advice. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Steam cleaners

[ Edited ]

@Ditzydori  I have a floor steam cleaner that claimed it would clean grout....nope, still looked as dingy as before.  I tried everything, including scrubbing with a brush using bleach, comet, vinegar, backing soda, goo-gone grout cleaner, etc... 

The ONLY thing that really worked and would clean this 20+ year tile grout was purchased at Lowes for about $7.00.  I poured it on the tile, you could see the dirt lifting, then barely scrubbed and wiped clean.  I was amazed.  I have dogs and my floors get really dirty.  This is my solution until I can rip those ugly tiles out and replace with something else.   I used Zep Commercial 32 oz. Grout cleaner in a blue bottle.

floor.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

In my opinion---I have never heard of any home steam cleaner that could do what a pro carpet /floor company can do. Too much work and not good results. Did the rent a cleaner from the grocery store once and what a fiasco---had to have the real guys come in and re-do after just a few weeks. Worth the $$ to me. Can afford  once a year cleaning.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2wrote:

@Ditzydori  I have a floor steam cleaner that claimed it would clean grout....nope, still looked as dingy as before.  I tried everything, including scrubbing with a brush using bleach, comet, vinegar, backing soda, goo-gone grout cleaner, etc... 

The ONLY thing that really worked and would clean this 20+ year tile grout was purchased at Lowes for about $7.00.  I poured it on the tile, you could see the dirt lifting, then barely scrubbed and wiped clean.  I was amazed.  I have dogs and my floors get really dirty.  This is my solution until I can rip those ugly tiles out and replace with something else.   I used Zep Commercial 32 oz. Grout cleaner in a blue bottle.

floor.jpg

@CAcableGirl2. That's exactly what I did. We had two different tile floors in the kitchen. I finally gave up and had a high quality vinyl installed. What a pleasure to clean, very easy, one, two, three! No more grout.