Respected Contributor

State of Emergency Declared by Govenor Cuomo this afternoon

[ Edited ]

Gov. Cuomo declares state of emergency.

All MTA and MTA transit bus services have been suspended at noon today.

We expected this to occur, since the snow fall in NY and surrounding Metropolitan Areas, as well as Long Island, continues to fall with steady winds and snow accumulations mounting.  

They are also worried about coastal beach erosion, and coastal area flooding, all of which we have experienced in the past.

This time around they have been right on the money, so to speak, but Mother Nature is not predictable 100% and will still do her own thing......which is what still remains to be seen".

"May everyone remain safe, and let's pray this Storm Jonas departs more quickly than expected, by our Pro Weather Forecasters.

Respected Contributor

Re: State of Emergency Declared by Govenor Cuomo this afternoon

Good to hear - why put people's lives at risk out in that mess.  Stay safe! 

Honored Contributor

And you will have a chance, tomorrow perhaps when the winds calm down, to walk around a quiet, wintry New York City?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi ValuSkr,

We have enough quiet winter outside our NYC door, so no need yet to venture into Manhattan: ).

Also with the NYC snow emergency declared yesterday by Mayor Cuomo, nothing is up and running, all NYC services are shut down, businesses have closed, Broadway has closed, and everything will remain closed, until the danger of the Jonas Storm passes.

During the Mayor's televised State of Emergency Declared address he asked everyone in NY and NYS all refrain from driving, in order to leave all areas open and accessible for snow removal, as well as allowing all Emergency crews, and vehicles to pass safely, and without life threatening stalled vehicles and accidents.

Honored Contributor

I watched the Earthcam views of Times Square yesterday and it was strange to see it so deserted in the midst of the storm - just a few people milling around and workers trying to clear the TKTS steps.

Respected Contributor

Yes I agree seeing Manhattan look like a ghost town is very strange to see, especially since it is known as "The Big Apple, & The City That Never Sleeps".

From my recollection every time we had a major weather disaster occur, our NYC Mayors have always declared a state of emergency, and I definitely agree with that.

Nevertheless Manhattan still looks very peculiar and unsettling, to see a few people, and NYC workers clearing the snow accumulation.

I hope the clean up continues so things can get back to normal again with all NY services, and businesses.