Honored Contributor

Re: Started landscaping today

@ccassaday....I have always enjoyed working in the yard and 2 different times we have had a plan professionally drawn up,  one time  DH and I did the work in your bak yard, the other plan was for my niece.....she had a habitat for humanity home that needed landscaped and I had a plan drawn up for her and then we did the work.

Great money saver, if you are willing to do the work

Honored Contributor

I don’t like this new landscaping trend of planting young trees that get big, fast, near the foundation of the house.   

My teacher daughter has been looking at several homes for sale in her school district.   These houses are 3-12 years old, and have what I consider to be BIG trees near the foundation at the front entrance.  

I don’t understand why anyone would plant a tree that’s going to get as tall as the house, with an invasive root system near the foundation of their house!   To me that’s just asking for a cracked foundation, as well as a pest issue, as in ants, woodborers, termites, etc.

Contributor

It looks beautiful!! I'm excited to see more pictures.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I don’t like this new landscaping trend of planting young trees that get big, fast, near the foundation of the house.   

My teacher daughter has been looking at several homes for sale in her school district.   These houses are 3-12 years old, and have what I consider to be BIG trees near the foundation at the front entrance.  

I don’t understand why anyone would plant a tree that’s going to get as tall as the house, with an invasive root system near the foundation of their house!   To me that’s just asking for a cracked foundation, as well as a pest issue, as in ants, woodborers, termites, etc.

In the apartment we were at while this house was built they had willow trees right up against the building. We had so many cracks and foundation problems with that apartment.  We defintly wont be doing any trees close to the house.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ccassaday....I have always enjoyed working in the yard and 2 different times we have had a plan professionally drawn up,  one time  DH and I did the work in your bak yard, the other plan was for my niece.....she had a habitat for humanity home that needed landscaped and I had a plan drawn up for her and then we did the work.

Great money saver, if you are willing to do the work

Yes they  will do the work. I think that $95 is a petty good price for them to draw up a plan. They are coming next tuesday.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting! It looks really good! How fun! How is your dog still loving it?

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Thanks for posting! It looks really good! How fun! How is your dog still loving it?

Chloe loves it. You cant go outside without her following and wanting out. If it has been raining she camt go out of course because its mud. She does super with staying in her yard when we go out. She has a long lead but we dont hook it to anything or hold it. It makes it easy to grab her if she would run off. She just goes out and lays in the driveway. If we dont go out she has a 100 ft lead for the back we put over a post sticking out. Fence probably wont go up unril next spring.

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

and I have learned the hard way that they also like to invade your sewer lines!  I love a big shade tree or several in the yard and I'm now having to have roots cleared from my sewer line regularly Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

and I have learned the hard way that they also like to invade your sewer lines!  I love a big shade tree or several in the yard and I'm now having to have roots cleared from my sewer line regularly Smiley Sad

@In-x-s  - happened in first house I owned.  I bought home that was 4 years old and about 15 years later, the roots grew into the sewer pipes (it was the pipes put in in 1970 that were like cardboard and I think had the name "orange" in the name.  I had to have front yard dug and PVC pipe run.  Eventually most of the neighborhood had to do the same.