Honored Contributor

A clever idea!  If you're limited on space and have more books and knick-knacks than you know what to do with, this is a great solution for using otherwise wasted space.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Nice use of space, for CD's and DVD's too.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a creative idea but, IMHO, impractical.  I agree with the others who have said they would prefer it enclosed as a closet or bathroom.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like it minus the table, too much clutter. You would need to keep the bookshelf very neat though, otherwise would look really bad. I do also like the idea of a Powder Room under the stairs as well......

Esteemed Contributor

Oh how cute.  I would get rid of the table, tho.  The shelves need more books that can be reached easily and less chakeys.  Looks a bit cluttered to me.  And get rid of the table......again, too cluttered.

Honored Contributor

I prefer a closet or enclosed storage shelves. You can never go wrong with adding storage space to a house.

Respected Contributor

I really like it.

Respected Contributor

Nope.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I do have under my stairs enclosed as a closet.  Clothes on rod attached to wall on one end and to a step riser on the other end in front and clear space in back where I store Christmas decor.

My previous house had a powder room under the first floor stairs and also one under the basement stairs.  Very practical use for what would be unused space.

Valued Contributor

Any time you can come up with extra storage in a previously unused space it's a winner. 

I would probably put a small sliding door on steps 7 & 8 so that you could hide half of what was on those shelves. Definitely add a flameless candle or two on a timer. Also, I still play CD's and what a great space to hide my little CD boombox. 

As someone else mentioned I hope I can remember this if I ever find myself living in a home with stairs again. Smiley Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon