Honored Contributor

I know it is nice when looking a new homes in a subdivision, to have a "model home" to check out, but I personally prefer to see empty houses that are clean and not cluttered.  That way I can vision how my furniture would look in the house.  In an empty house, you can see what is wrong with carpet, walls, appliances, etc., JMHO!

Honored Contributor

@Hootywrote:

I know it is nice when looking a new homes in a subdivision, to have a "model home" to check out, but I personally prefer to see empty houses that are clean and not cluttered.  That way I can vision how my furniture would look in the house.  In an empty house, you can see what is wrong with carpet, walls, appliances, etc., JMHO!

@Hooty, You could give lessons to some agents!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach, LOL, I guess it comes from being a military spouse and moving around and having to vision your furniture in all types of housing!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Hootywrote:

@Hooty

I completely agree. I can have a visceral reaction (in a bad way) when any space is not decorated to my aesthetic. An empty house is like a blank canvas in which I can envision creating a home.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodzwrote:

@Hootywrote:

@Hooty

I completely agree. I can have a visceral reaction (in a bad way) when any space is not decorated to my aesthetic. An empty house is like a blank canvas in which I can envision creating a home.

@Hooty @magicmoodz.  I agree. Our house was empty when we looked at it. So much easier to see the "actual" house. We bought it that day.

Honored Contributor

@Hootywrote:

@Hooty

I agree. If I had a choice, I'd rather see a house empty too. You can't hide things. 

I'm in the process of tearing my  mom's house down for new flooring, and we removed all furniture and everything off the walls in five rooms/hallways. I knew how bad the carpet was looking but the walls in some areas are worse than we thought for needing paint/paper. 

A well staged house or one that is being lived in with furniture and things on the walls, can hide a multitude of sins. 

Empty doesn't lie. 

Honored Contributor

When my sister was looking for a house, I went with her to a bunch of them.  Most are pretty easy to look past the decor, but 2 are still burned in my brain.  LOL

One was done in all colonial colors (we're in Virginia and it's a popular thing in the historic towns here).  It's hard to look past Union Blue and Farmhouse Red because they are so deep and dark and make the rooms look small.  The master bedroom was in a dark brown color.

Colonial.jpg

Another house had red flocking on the walls when you first enter the house in the main living room/dining room and entryway.  

Flocking.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Red flocked wallpaper looks like it belongs in a bordello.