Super Contributor

Does anyone have tips for preventing squirrels from eating your pumpkins? We have squirrels everywhere in my area, and I've tried to spray various things on my pumpkins every year that supposedly keeps the squirrels away, and it never works for long. One year I got so fed up that I put out faux pumpkins, but they were too light and kept blowing off the porch. Plus, I really don't have enough storage space to keep faux pumpkins the rest of the year. 

Esteemed Contributor

You won't like these suggestions; but have no others

1.Feed them so they aren't hungry

2. Buy rat and chipmunk traps..........elimination but think they are too smart to take the bait

Shot them isn't what you want to hear but______?

Just give up pumpkins or

Put a rock in the fake ones

Honored Contributor

Wrap your pumpkins in chicken wire.  It would be time consuming but once shaped, it could be re-used year after year.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Squirrels and Pumpkins

[ Edited ]

@PreKteacher 

Here's humane ideas---

1. Coat all sides of your pumpkin with lacquer spray and let dry until hard

2. Cover your pumpkin in a heavy coat of petroleum jelly or a vapor rub. Squirrels don't like sticky substances. And a thick coat of the jelly can last for weeks. 

3. Sprinkle bloodmeal around the pumpkins. Squirrels are vegetarians, so they dislike the smell of blood. If you're putting bloodmeal on the soil in your yard or garden, don't apply more than 4 ounces per square yard.

4. Coat pumpkins with peppermint or garlic spray. You can purchase these natural repellents at garden centers or make your own.

5. One farmer swears Bounce dryer sheets repel squirrels....

6. BRUSH your dog or cat and put their fur around the base of the pumpkin. Dogs and cats are natural predators that squirrels won’t want to be around.

7. Try placing a statue of an owl or a fox near the pumpkin—silhouettes squirrels naturally recognize and avoid.

download (1).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I had the same problem with pumpkins on the front porch, so I stopped buying them.  They're too expensive to be squirrel chow.  I watched one pumpkin diminish daily until it disappeared altogether.

Respected Contributor

WOW!  I can't believe how anti-squirrel folks can be!

My pumpkins are on my front porch and the squirrels are afraid of people so they do not really come up to bother them.

I would never use anything harmful or not natural on a plant or food item, nor would I ever hurt a wild animal.

As soon as Halloween is over I am very happy to donate my pumpkins to the squirrels!

I move them under the trees for better access.  The squirrels love the seeds inside the best.

Live and let live is my philosophy.

Esteemed Contributor

Try spraying with  black pepper  or  hot pepper oil. 

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper   I'm with you.  The squirrels leave my porch pumpkins alone.  When the season is about done, I too put the out back for any critters to enjoy.  Live and let live. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet