Honored Contributor

Squeegee Carpets: Anyone Tried This?

I saw this hack online and thought I would share.  I no longer have wall to wall carpeting (just a few area rugs) but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?

Vacuum your carpets.  Take a squeegee and go over the area (dry) and see what the squeegee lifts up. 

I would be interested to hear what you think.  I imagine that if one does this often with lesser quality carpet, it will pill and produce more fibers, but I'm not a carpet expert.  

Mrs Hinch, real name Sophie Hinchliffe, insists a squeegee  is the perfect solution to getting up those bits of fluff and hair that traditional vacuum cleaners leave behind. She later posted photos shared by followers who had also tried the trick, including this Instagram account

House-proud followers were shocked by how much fluff and debris was picked up by the squeegee, even after vacuuming. Pictured, one of the images shared by Mrs Hinch 

Respected Contributor

Re: Squeegee Carpets: Anyone Tried This?

I have never tried a squeegee on my carpet after vacuuming but if I did and all that hair came up I would have to go out and buy a new super powerful vacuum!😃

Honored Contributor

That looks revolting.

I have all hardwood  now.  If I went over carpet and all that came up, I would rip it out myself that day. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never tried the squeegee but I have a rubber broom that works the same for "peak" shedding time. I have Dysons which I swear by but when we're grooming the dogs it's just tooo much hair on the carpet. (Note: my husband and I have different methods to grooming the dogs. LOL) 

Honored Contributor

I can see where a squeegee would lift animal hair from carpet but I have my doubts about its effectiveness on dirt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

That is one dirty house.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My new Shark vac has squeegee things built right on the roller. It's an amazing vacuum.

Shark-Zero-M.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I've never used a squeegee on my carpets, but I can certainly relate to the hair.  With two rough coated collies in the house, I vacuum EVERY single day and still find random chunks of dog hair in places.  It collects in the corners and against the walls.  Sometimes I use a damp rag to run along the edges of the carpet to pick up the excess hair before I vacuum.  

Honored Contributor

No squeezes, but I have tried Don Aslett's rubber brooms.  It removes dog fur from hardwoods and from carpet and area rugs.  It's a really nice tool when your dogs are shedding.  I often use this first, the vacuum.  The amount of fur it gathers is terrifying.

Respected Contributor

I would not have the inclination to try this.

I would rely on my vacuum cleaner, and carpet cleaner.

I do not like nor have wall to wall carpeting but some people love it and this might be an interesting thing for them to try.