Honored Contributor

Re: Spring cleaning anyone? Share your plans/progress

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't spring clean until it's actually spring and we won't get anymore snow.  Right now with the snow, everything is just dirty and well, icky.  No matter how well I clean, we are going to be dragging some of that mess into the house.  With the cold temps we are using our woodburning stove which also creates somewhat of a mess.  If I did major spring cleaning now I would just feel like I needed it to be done again when the temps got warm.

When it does get warm, all my walls will get wiped down, windows done inside and out, woodwork wiped down, curtains washed, knick-knacks all washed in soapy water and what carpets I have will be scrubbed. 

I did clean really good before I decorated for x-mas and when I took the decorations down and put the house back together.  On a regular basis I move all my furniture and clean behind it, including the woodwork.   I regularly dust/clean my ceiling fans and light fixtures.

To the poster who asked, when I wipe my walls down, I get a bucket of Mr. Clean water or some other type of cleaner like it and a microfiber cloth.  I dip the cloth in the bucket, ring it out and wipe down a section, redip and ring the cloth and keep going until the walls are down.  You'd be surprised what the water looks like when you dump it.  I cannot imagine never wiping my walls down.  Just common dirt gets on the walls. 

In the kitchen, things splatter.  You'd be surprised.  Same in the bathroom.  Walls gets soap scum on them, overspray from hairspray and other hair products, deodorants, etc.                 

@Lipstickdiva

We have a wood burner as well, but have only used it like twice in the 23 years we have lived here. It is a really big old and ugly unit, and the people who lived here before us used it to heat all winter. We had a 5 day power outage a few years ago, and used it to heat the whole house at that time. It is so big and powerful it just about ran us out of the two lower levels of the house!

I have always wanted a new wood burner, pretty one with the glass in the front and all, but it seems there is always something more pressing to be done, and we never have gotten one (yet?!!). 

I know heating with wood can bring in and create a lot of dirt. 

Do you have a smoke smell problem? I've always been afraid that the carpet and upholstered furniture will hold the smokey smell if we used it regularly. Or that it will create a film on things.

We always had a fireplace growing up and in my first home as an adult, and we burned wood in the fireplace regularly (oh man how I miss that!), and I never felt that left a bad smell in the house. I think because our stove is old and maybe we don't know exactly how to use it to create the right draw (I guess that is what I mean?) we are getting smell that we might not if we knew better or had a better wood burner.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I'm doing my spring cleaning along with my purging. That is one reason (just one, lol) why it is taking me so long to get through each room. Today, all bets are off about if I will get anything done. Just back from taking my dog to the vet and have a doctor appt for myself this afternoon, I seem to have ruptured my eardrum, or something (not sure, but ears don't normally bleed, so.....). I will at some point today be wiping out my oven as I ran the "clean" cycle on it last night.

Oh @Snicks1

Hope you aren't in pain or feel unbalanced with your ear problem. Get that cleared up quick! 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't do any spring cleaning per say anymore but I do small projects all the time that add up to a good cleaning. I no longer am able to wash walls and I miss that really clean feel & smell a room has when the walls have just been washed.

Wash the walls?  I wash prints off and vacuum, that's it for walls, lol.  

@mousiegirl - no little kids here, so no little handprints to wash off.  I will go over them with a swiffer or the vacuum.  Washing walls - that's what paint is for!   Wash them wrong and you have big old water streaks running down them.

Valued Contributor

I like to keep a clean house, don't get me wrong. When I was working, I had someone clean for me every two weeks. My observation is that some excessive cleaning rituals are indicative of anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorders. A neighbor had been recently divorced after many years, and had purchased her own home.  She could be found after dark, cleaning her sidewalks with Dawn and a scrub brush.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

I like to keep a clean house, don't get me wrong. When I was working, I had someone clean for me every two weeks. My observation is that some excessive cleaning rituals are indicative of anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorders. A neighbor had been recently divorced after many years, and had purchased her own home.  She could be found after dark, cleaning her sidewalks with Dawn and a scrub brush.

Or it could be that wall washers just appreciate the value of a nice , truely clean house. 

When we moved into our Florida home we preferred to have carpet over tile floors. I get the carpet steam cleaned yearly. My neighbors teased me about doing that but my carpet is a very light ecru color. Well, now jump ahead 8 years and - my oft cleaned carpet still looks great, many of those who teased me about excessively cleaning mine are replacing their's because it is too stained.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

We have a wood burner as well, but have only used it like twice in the 23 years we have lived here. It is a really big old and ugly unit, and the people who lived here before us used it to heat all winter. We had a 5 day power outage a few years ago, and used it to heat the whole house at that time. It is so big and powerful it just about ran us out of the two lower levels of the house!

I have always wanted a new wood burner, pretty one with the glass in the front and all, but it seems there is always something more pressing to be done, and we never have gotten one (yet?!!). 

I know heating with wood can bring in and create a lot of dirt. 

Do you have a smoke smell problem? I've always been afraid that the carpet and upholstered furniture will hold the smokey smell if we used it regularly. Or that it will create a film on things.

We always had a fireplace growing up and in my first home as an adult, and we burned wood in the fireplace regularly (oh man how I miss that!), and I never felt that left a bad smell in the house. I think because our stove is old and maybe we don't know exactly how to use it to create the right draw (I guess that is what I mean?) we are getting smell that we might not if we knew better or had a better wood burner.

@Mominohio, our woodburner is fairly new.  It's our second one. This one is off-white and has the glass doors on the front with the nicer, decorative legs on it.  It's smaller and more efficient than the older one we had which was just a black, utilitarian looking stove.  We also have a blower on it which helps circulate the warm air.

We do have to be careful because if we get carried away, it just gets way too warm in the house and then it's uncomfortable.  And once it's too warm there isn't a whole lot you can do because it takes awhile for it to cool down.  We didn't use it much last year and we've only used it a few times this year, when it's been super, super cold, because we are short on wood. 

We don't have a huge problem with the soot or smoke from it like the old unit.  But when the doors get opened for wood to go in, sometimes stray ash flies out and there is some smoke that gets out which can eventually leave dust.  When we go to bed at night, we put some wood in and close the air off some so that the wood will burn slower and last throughout the night.  However, if we close the air off too much, the wood just smolders and it does create that wood/campfire smell.  We go downstairs and open the air some and then the smell goes away.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio,

I get the feeling your big, ugly wood stove is a free standing unit with a stove pipe going into a thimble in the wall, and vented thru a chimney?  

The smoke smell inside the house usually comes from the draft which is usually on the stove pipe not being opened wide enough to vent the smoke when the fire is burning well, a faulty draft piece (they do wear out), a dirty or worn stove pipe, a crack in the stove, or actual chimney issues.    

We built this house in 1981, with a wood stove in our basement as a back up heat source.   Wood smoke has never been a problem, and there is no film on anything from regular fires in our Jotul stove.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't do any spring cleaning per say anymore but I do small projects all the time that add up to a good cleaning. I no longer am able to wash walls and I miss that really clean feel & smell a room has when the walls have just been washed.

Wash the walls?  I wash prints off and vacuum, that's it for walls, lol.  

@mousiegirl - no little kids here, so no little handprints to wash off.  I will go over them with a swiffer or the vacuum.  Washing walls - that's what paint is for!   Wash them wrong and you have big old water streaks running down them.

Definitely. If one has big water streaks running down them, they have no idea how to and have never washed a wall! LOL

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

There is a huge difference between washing the walls in the home you live, sleep, eat and entertain in during a bright sunny day, once a year or so (makes the work easier to do and see what you are doing) and someone who is outside after dark scrubbing a sidewalk with dish detergent (but hey, I power wash our sidewalks about every other year....in the summer and in the daylight lol....to get the mildew off them and makes them look new again)

Yes to some excessive cleaning rituals signaling mental illness or stresses. 

Living in dirt and filth can be as well. Two sides of the same coin.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Your wood burner sounds beautiful and like something I hope to have someday!

Thanks for the input on how it all works and the results you get!