Honored Contributor

Re: Spring cleaning anyone? Share your plans/progress

@Graciesmom wrote:

I changed my sheets back in December ...  It was a two-day job ...  I'll probably do it again in April ...

@Graciesmom  LOL!  I assume you mean that you have seasonal sheets.

Honored Contributor

I'm waiting for spring.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't do any spring cleaning per say anymore but I do small projects all the time that add up to a good cleaning. I no longer am able to wash walls and I miss that really clean feel & smell a room has when the walls have just been washed.

@151949  @Mominohio  Wash the walls?  I wash prints off and vacuum, that's it for walls, lol.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mominohio....do use a sponge to clean you walls?  I am pretty good at keeping the house clean, but have never washed my walls...they are plaster.  I have used the vacuum on them.......

@Mom2Dogs

I think when people hear 'wash walls' they picture buckets of sudsy water and like washing a car. 

That would be a disaster!

I use a bucket of hot water with Murphy's Oil Soap, and either an old wash cloth or a microfiber cloth, wrung out super dry, then wipe the walls and baseboards, and window trim and doors with that. Rinse the rag out frequently and you'll be surprised how dirty the water is by the time you get done. I take down all pictures etc, and clean them good too, as well as move all furniture to wash behind it.

We don't have fingerprints and scuffs or the usual things people get on walls like when they have kids, but the dust and dirt from heating systems, having the widows open all summer etc. and just daily living is astonishing. 

In my last home, my walls were plaster, and they are drywall in our current home. I have had papered walls and painted walls, and all can be safely washed this way. 

It isn't a job I really enjoy doing, taking all this stuff down, washing walls, doors, baseboards, curtains, furniture (wood furniture loves a good cleaning with the Murphy's), all bed linens, then steam cleaning the upholstered pieces and carpets more toward summer, but I love the finished product. 

And I'm always shocked, as I clean thoroughly throughout the year, just how dirty the water is in that bucket, in many of my rooms. 

Life is dirty!! LOL

Respected Contributor

I think spring and fall cleaning came into being with coal furniaces back in the day when thngs got dirty and dusty with coal dust. 

I have a clean house, but have never "spring cleaned".  DH does windows, cleans the garage, cleans the porches and outside stuff and maintenance as needed.  We take down drapes/curtains and wash them occasionally.  I have a carpet cleaning company come annually and clean the carpeting. 

DH cleaned our understeps area when the Christmas decor came out last month.

Anything else is done by cleaning lady - bathrooms, kitchen floor, weekly type cleaning.

Do not wash walls, they are vacuumed by rotation in the general weekly cleaning.

Re-paint every so often - not often.  Kitchen cabinets need cleaned every so often, but I have to hire that job out.  Pay cleaning lady for an extra day.

I do a small project when the mood and physical condition strikes me such as cleaning a closet, etc.  Cleaned refrigerator last week. 

I wish I had the energy that some of you have shown - would be great!

Honored Contributor

I stripped the bed down to bare mattress which was four-layers thick. Then I vacuumed, steamed and rotated the mattress. I washed everything I took off the bed. That was an all-day job. 

I moved the fridge and cleaned under it. Then I cleaned the entire inside of the fridge. Took me most of the day. 

Changed out my sofa and loveseat slip covers with some really nice ones I bought here. They're really nice...they fit like a pair of Spanx for your sofa...lol!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23,

My childhood home was heated solely by a wood and coal furnace, plus my parents were heavy smokers, which am sure contributed to my mother’s Spring and Fall cleaning frenzies.   

Valued Contributor

I threw out the egg nog ...

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mominohio....do use a sponge to clean you walls?  I am pretty good at keeping the house clean, but have never washed my walls...they are plaster.  I have used the vacuum on them.......

@Mom2Dogs

I think when people hear 'wash walls' they picture buckets of sudsy water and like washing a car. 

That would be a disaster!

I use a bucket of hot water with Murphy's Oil Soap, and either an old wash cloth or a microfiber cloth, wrung out super dry, then wipe the walls and baseboards, and window trim and doors with that. Rinse the rag out frequently and you'll be surprised how dirty the water is by the time you get done. I take down all pictures etc, and clean them good too, as well as move all furniture to wash behind it.

We don't have fingerprints and scuffs or the usual things people get on walls like when they have kids, but the dust and dirt from heating systems, having the widows open all summer etc. and just daily living is astonishing. 

In my last home, my walls were plaster, and they are drywall in our current home. I have had papered walls and painted walls, and all can be safely washed this way. 

It isn't a job I really enjoy doing, taking all this stuff down, washing walls, doors, baseboards, curtains, furniture (wood furniture loves a good cleaning with the Murphy's), all bed linens, then steam cleaning the upholstered pieces and carpets more toward summer, but I love the finished product. 

And I'm always shocked, as I clean thoroughly throughout the year, just how dirty the water is in that bucket, in many of my rooms. 

Life is dirty!! LOL

@Mominohio  No matter how clean a person's hands are, there are still oils and eventually, they appear on doors, usually not walls.  If my pups sit with their backs on a door, eventually color will show due to the natural body oil, even though they are clean and not oily, lol.  When I had cats, they would rub their cheeks on a door frame or wherever, and eventually there would be a brown color, easily washed off.

Valued Contributor

@Graciesmom Love your posts. Thanks for the laughs.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln