New Contributor

Speed Queen TC5003WN Question

[ Edited ]

This washer has no water level selection.  It fills (supposedly) by bulk, but it seems the level is always the same.  We ordered it a year ago when appliances were VERY hard to get and delivery dates were extremely long.

We screwed up by not asking questions about new washers, and we had no idea Speed Queen would not put an all-important water level indicator on their product!.  No washer was available to view prior to purchase.  The dealer has a very good reputation so we figured we wouldn't have a problem.

Can anyone explain how this washer's automatic water level fill works?  I believe we waste water with this automatic selection and am disappointed in Speed Queen that they would place  restrictions put on this model.  They were great about this with our last machine.  We kick ourselves for not being careful.  Thanks for any information.

Honored Contributor

Re: Speed Queen TC5003WN Question

@Summertime112    Why don't you call a salesman at the store where you bought it for an explanation?  They are more attuned to such technicalities.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We bought a Whirlpool a couple of years ago. It also has an automatic water level fill. But I have no clue how it determines how much water to fill the washer.

I can put in 2 t-shirts and it can fill the tub more than half full. And then I can fill the tub close to the top and it puts in 6 inches of water.

It does have the choice of deep wash and bulky wash. The water will fill the tub on those choices. There is a diagram of the different water level choices. But if you are washing clothing, it seems to have  mind of it's own. And I can count on a dark wash having very little water so there are white soap marks on all the black shirts and pants.

I am so disappointed. You never know what to expect. And you can't open the lid to see the water level because it is locked.

New Contributor

I know how you feel.  I wish we could take the washer back, but we're stuck with it.  I can't say that we've had abnormably low water fills though.  SQ use to be really good at keeping its practical, common sense features.  Now they restrict the buyer's method of washing clothes.  Manufacturers tell customers what they can or cannot do nowadays.  Gad sometimes this world can drive you nuts!  Wish you the best.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Summertime112 wrote:

I know how you feel.  I wish we could take the washer back, but we're stuck with it.  I can't say that we've had abnormably low water fills though.  SQ use to be really good at keeping its practical, common sense features.  Now they restrict the buyer's method of washing clothes.  Manufacturers tell customers what they can or cannot do nowadays.  Gad sometimes this world can drive you nuts!  Wish you the best.  

@Summertime112 

We bought our new Speed Queen washer about 6 months ago and it has the option to use Auto Fill or set it yourself for a Small, Medium or Large load.  I've never used the Auto Fill.  I want to choose water level myself, which is one reason I bought this model.  We were fortunate to be able to look at washer models in the store before buying. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Summertime112  I googled your model. There is an owner's manual you can download or read online to answer questions you may have about your washer. There was also a short youtube for TC5 washers. Perhaps it fills by weight that it senses or by volume. If it gets the clothes clean with minimal water, that's great. Best of luck.

Super Contributor

It seems with my top loader, when I use the bulky load setting, I get more water in the tub than when I put it on a normal setting. I usually want more water, so I always choose the bulky setting as I don't get enough water for my liking on a normal setting it barely wets the clothes on the normal setting.

Respected Contributor

@Summertime112 go to YouTube and type in the brand and model of your washer. You will find a plethora of videos about the model you bought as well as other speed queen models. Hopefully, one of the videos will be able to answer your question or enlighten you about the model you purchased.

Honored Contributor

After one week, I returned a washer to Lowes that worked like this.  Water fill levels seemed to be determined by the different wash cycles.   

I chose a no bells or whistles commercial grade washer that offers mostly full fill cycles.  Love it!

Respected Contributor

While the washer down in FL isn't a Speed Queen, it has the option of several water levels.  I always set it for the deepest one regardless.  Too, it has the nasty lockout feature....I just cancel wherever we are in the cycle and restart.

Some of the dumbest moves by engineers and manufacturers for the 21 st century !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill