Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of the weather, and things you have to do when power goes out.

Our power goes out two or three times a year for unknown reasons. It's usually only out for eight to ten hours, so I can get by with battery-operated candles and a rechargeable battery pack that is enough to run a small fan. I wish I could afford to retrofit my house with solar power.

Honored Contributor

I live in hurricane territory, at least 2, or more per year, most stronger than Sandy. Several years ago was without power for 12 days. No lights, water, air conditioning (hot September) had to shower and do hair at work after the neighborhood all worked together to clear trees from road and driveways. 3 dogs 6 cats, sticky stuff on floor, too dark to see what it was, no water to clean it up, don't look. Had prepared with bathtubs full of water, lasted @ 4 days, tied down all potential flying objects - thank goodness.

Now a big hulking generator lives in on a throne in the garage! Love him, his name is Thor!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Contributor

We are also lucky to have a lake in the backyard so water for flushing would never be a problem. I guess if we boiled it first we could wash with it too.

Honored Contributor

We have an artesian well (comes up out of the ground with no power needed to run the pump) but would have to be hauled from the well head, which is just a couple of steps from the house, so we have all the water we'd need for flushing, bathing, cooking etc. with no need to store or treat for safety reasons.

We have a wood burning stove that heats the whole house, and a shed full of wood, with large wooded acreage behind the house. We also have two kerosene heaters as backups as well.

We have a gas powered generator big enough to run the whole house, which is all electric except for the kitchen stove. It really drinks the gasoline, so it is something that in a multiple day outage, we would cycle on and off every few hours, to extend the supply of gas.

Our cook stove in the kitchen is propane, and the stove top will work (just light the burner with a match) even without power (but it is a newer model, so the oven has no pilot light and will not work without power).

And we have backups for our backups. Like camping potty, camping stoves, and such things.

What we don't have is any cooling capacity, as we rely on fans only (no air conditioning) and it gets pretty stuffy without power for a few hours in the heat. We can crank up the generator for that, but we often wait it out to see if it will last more than just a few hours.

Respected Contributor

On 4/25/2015 raining said:

We are also lucky to have a lake in the backyard so water for flushing would never be a problem. I guess if we boiled it first we could wash with it too.

You can bath with it and wash clothes with it just like you would camping. To drink it, you would need to boil it for 10 minutes on a rolling boil. We camp out in the swamp, Okefenokee that is, and drink the water there without boiling. The tannin in the Cyprus trees kill the germs/parasites. There are plenty of other things to worry about killing you down there, but the water isn't one of them.

Trusted Contributor

The 2 recent times we were w/o power were both in spring/summer, so heat was not an issue, but we have a portable generator for furnace. We were OK w/taking showers, as we have a gas water heater. We also keep large jugs of water in our basement along w/a large stock of emergency canned goods for eating. We keep extra batteries, flashlights, and candles on stock also. Spouse has a ham radio for talking to others who could help in an emergency situation. When the stuff hits the fan, you don't know how long it will take to get back to normal, or we like to help each other out here in a small town.

Contributor

Are you kidding?!?! I live in hurricane prone Florida. When we closed on our house they gave us a Hurricane preparedness book. Highly recommended reading it. One of the first things we purchased for our new home was an emergency generator. Just big enough to run the fridge, a radio, a fan and a lamp. Another thing we do is never have more food in the fridge at once than we can afford to throw away. I never go to Costco and buy in bulk anymore.We are also careful to have gas for the gas grill outside in case we need to use it to cook. We keep a few 5 gallon jugs  (empty) in the attic. if we are going to get a storm we can fill them up and we have a hand pump that gets the water out easily (old campers item). I also always have oil lamps, oil and wicks on hand.

My town has not had a direct hit from a hurricane in 47 years so many people think we will never get one. I'd rather be safe than sorry.