Frequent Contributor

Re: Speaking of the Bathroom Sink

HSN sells this drain cleaner Professor Amos' SuperFast Drain Cleaner it workes like a charm. No smell, just pour 10 oz. down drain, wait 30 minutes and run hot tap water to rinse. It works great. 

Trusted Contributor

doesn't QVC sell something that you pour down the drain and it washes everything away and unclogs the drain? I can't remember the name, but every time I see it, I think it's amazing. 

can someone please tell me the name of that drain cover that catches hair? really need one for the shower. thanx!

Honored Contributor

A couple years ago when we came home from 5 month vacation our BR sink was stopped up so DH took the trap apart and there was a snake in there! The condo watch guy was supposed to run water in there but had not because he said it was blocked - I guess so.

Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

doesn't QVC sell something that you pour down the drain and it washes everything away and unclogs the drain? I can't remember the name, but every time I see it, I think it's amazing. 

can someone please tell me the name of that drain cover that catches hair? really need one for the shower. thanx!

Yes, both QVC and HSN have products for unclogging the drain. When I made my initial post my drain wasn't clogged up, water was going down okay, I just wanted to clean off the stopper stem and the area around it which is when I couldn't get the stopper thing out and started using the long skinny brush to get down there and couldn't believe the hair it pulled out. I've never used the product from QVC but have used the Professor Amos stuff and it works very well. If you go to Amazon and put in hair catcher for drains you'll see many.

Respected Contributor

That Green Gobblen stuff is amazing.  I swear by it.

I bought it at Home Depot because I wanted it immediately.  I use it once a month.

The shower in my kids' bathroom was a nightmare.  They both have really long hair and the drain gets stopped up easily. 

Trusted Contributor

thanx shaggygirl! I'll check out Amazon. 😊

Respected Contributor

For cleaning drains, I use a product that I purchased at a plumber supply company that contains a high percentage of Sulfuric Acid.  It will "char" anything organic in its path.  You can literally see vapors of "smoke" coming out of the drain.  You just use a small amount, let it sit and then flush with a couple of gallons of cold water.  I'm not sure of the name of it, since I do not have the container, I just buy it when needed.

It's the best product I've ever used.  Especially in the shower or bathroom sink area that tends to accumulate lots of hair, soap, etc.  

I like using baking soda, vinegar and hot water in the kitchen drain.

Honored Contributor

I detest that job!

But, I do our bathroom sinks about three times or so a year, and the shower a couple of times. In doing so, I don't have a problem with clogs (Oh, why did I say that, now every drain in the house will back up!!).

As gross as it is, I feel much better when it has been done.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband made a little hook at the end of a long stem by bending a wire dress hanger.  This helped fish out more hair from our master bath than we could even imagine, had we not seen it up close.

Since  the bathroom was remodeled, we have a flat  square perforated drain cover in the shower (nothing to pull out for cleaning or unclogging).

Shopped around a little bit and found some white "Peel and Stick Drain Covers"  from Amazon, with holes that fit over the drain.  These stick firmly for a long time and really make it easy to scoop up the hair after a shower.  If anything makes it down the drain these days, it certainly can't be enough to worry about.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A couple years ago when we came home from 5 month vacation our BR sink was stopped up so DH took the trap apart and there was a snake in there! The condo watch guy was supposed to run water in there but had not because he said it was blocked - I guess so.

@151949

Funny that you bring this up, but a couple of weeks back the web ran a story about a snake/plumbing issue. Apparently an Asian man was using his squatty potty when a huge snake chomped down on his family jewels and did not let go.

YIKES!!

Somehow his wife rescued him and he was rushed to a hospital. I guess many Asians do not sit down when using the toilet, but straddle it, for both functions.

Google it and you will see the man grinning from his hospital bed and an inset picture of the bloody bathroom with the snake wedged into the bowl. The toilet had to be removed to the outside where it was smashed so the snake could escape. This came to mind immediately upon reading you post, 151949. How does that even happen? I would have an MI if it ever happened to me.

dee