Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of homes............

I've lived in Colorado most of my adult life. Moved here when I was in hs and I'm 62 now so I've done quite a bit of outdoor stuff, especially camping and hiking. As a young adult I became a member of our mountain search and rescue team where I learned much about outdoor survival and camping. While in college I was a member of a state-wide mountaineer club where I learned to climb mountains and hang from ropes on a cliff of a mountain. I've carried a backpack with 'my house' inside it along with food and water to last several days. I'm also a licensed hunter, though not currently hunting, I have gone on many camping trips with fellow hunters for weeks at a time. My favorite part of camping is eating the food cooked over a fire under the stars. You wouldn't believe how beautiful the sky at night is until you have seen it at 14,000 feet up.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

No, I am not a camper!  I have no interest in any type of camping.  

I was born and raised in the country on a farm; always had a roof over my head and food on the table, our water was drawn with a pulley and bucket from the well, heated in pots on a wood fired cookstove, and the outhouse was 20 steps from the basement door.   That was just the way life was at that time.   Without a doubt, I could handle a rustic camping experience, but it really doesn’t interest me.   

After my baby brother turned 8, Dad would take us fishing on the New River.   He made a wooden camper top so we could sleep in the bed of the truck.   With Dad and Mom on cots, and the boys and I on mats, it was a bit crowded.  Dad and the boys were up and down all thru the night checking their lines, so the canvas door on the “camper” was opened numerous times, letting bugs inside.   Eventually, I started sleeping in the cab of the truck, because they swore I drew mosquitoes!  (My family was right, as mosquitoes and all biting bugs love me).  We were not in a campground, so there were no facilities; thankfully we only went for the the night and came home at daylight.   Once access to that particular spot changed, Dad stopped going there.   

I live rural, and love the country experience.  Everything I want in my life is right here; I don’t need to leave my property to experience the great outdoors and nature at its best.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTopwrote:

No, I am not a camper!  I have no interest in any type of camping.  

I was born and raised in the country on a farm; always had a roof over my head and food on the table, our water was drawn with a pulley and bucket from the well, heated in pots on a wood fired cookstove, and the outhouse was 20 steps from the basement door.   That was just the way life was at that time.   Without a doubt, I could handle a rustic camping experience, but it really doesn’t interest me.   

After my baby brother turned 8, Dad would take us fishing on the New River.   He made a wooden camper top so we could sleep in the bed of the truck.   With Dad and Mom on cots, and the boys and I on mats, it was a bit crowded.  Dad and the boys were up and down all thru the night checking their lines, so the canvas door on the “camper” was opened numerous times, letting bugs inside.   Eventually, I started sleeping in the cab of the truck, because they swore I drew mosquitoes!  (My family was right, as mosquitoes and all biting bugs love me).  We were not in a campground, so there were no facilities; thankfully we only went for the the night and came home at daylight.   Once access to that particular spot changed, Dad stopped going there.   

I live rural, and love the country experience.  Everything I want in my life is right here; I don’t need to leave my property to experience the great outdoors and nature at its best.   

@RedTop

Ain't it great?!!

I grew up in a mid sized town, and as a younger adult, I always dreamed of going to a Bed and Breakfast in the country. 

Then one day after moving here, I woke up and I reazized I was living in one!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeewrote:

I've lived in Colorado most of my adult life. Moved here when I was in hs and I'm 62 now so I've done quite a bit of outdoor stuff, especially camping and hiking. As a young adult I became a member of our mountain search and rescue team where I learned much about outdoor survival and camping. While in college I was a member of a state-wide mountaineer club where I learned to climb mountains and hang from ropes on a cliff of a mountain. I've carried a backpack with 'my house' inside it along with food and water to last several days. I'm also a licensed hunter, though not currently hunting, I have gone on many camping trips with fellow hunters for weeks at a time. My favorite part of camping is eating the food cooked over a fire under the stars. You wouldn't believe how beautiful the sky at night is until you have seen it at 14,000 feet up.Woman Happy

Wow that blew me away, whole new "campers" respect for you! Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

We camped. We started out with a pop-up camper. Then graduated to a 26 ft trailer. I loved both! We travelled across the country in our camper. My kids still talk all the time about how much fun that 3 week trip was! We began camping at a favorite spot in upper (lower peninsula) Michigan. On one of our camping trips we decided to take a drive to look at properties and walla we found our little fixer-upper on our favorite lake. Fast forward to today...we now live in a brand new cottage on that same favorite lake! I still miss my camping days! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Last Summer  we took a 12 day camping trip with our 3 preteen Grandkids down to a Total Eclipse area. Was alot of fun. We hauled their bikes and after camp was set up at every stop off they'd go getting the lay of the new campground.  We used the campground showers and toilets except at night.   

Honored Contributor

@qualitygalwrote:

Are you a camper?  

Sometimes need to use the multi showers at camp grounds.  Sometimes need to use out houses?  Sleep in tents (air cushions on the ground).

If not now, were you ever a camper?  Did you ever stay in rustic cabins?  

No and never

absolutely not

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was married to my first husband we had a truck camper and used it often to travel with our 2 kids to see America and Canada.People who never camped in Canada are missing a beautiful experience. Then when I married my second husband we bought a used pop camper - then a used Hi Lo then a new fifth wheel. In the end we were spending the entire summer in our 45ft destination trailer so we could snowbird to Pittsburgh from Fl. & have a comfortable place to live. I always loved camping, always liked the people we'd meet at the campgrounds. We have lifelong friends we met at campgrounds.It is economical - you can bring your pets with you. Kid friendly. 

I haven't had to use campground facilities for many years , we got our first camper with a bathroom in 1986. Now a days with 'superbugs" etc I would feel a bit leery of having to use a public shower.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

@qualitygalwrote:

Are you a camper?  

Sometimes need to use the multi showers at camp grounds.  Sometimes need to use out houses?  Sleep in tents (air cushions on the ground).

No and never

absolutely not

I've been camping my entire adult life and have NEVER seen a campground -state - federal or private - that had outhouses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygalwrote:

Are you a camper?  

To me, camping is a hotel without room service.  : )

We camped a lot with my parents when we were little, they liked it.  It was nice to be outside and go hiking, long bike rides, campfires, etc..  We only had a big tent though, no camper, and sleeping bags, stove, etc.  It was always a lot of fun, but I won't go camping as an adult, no thank you.