Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of homes............

My idea of camping is the nearest Hilton hotel.  Have no desire to "rough" it without my own toilet, shower, etc.  Would not consider that a vacation!

Honored Contributor

No, I have never been a camper, went on a few camping trips with my daughters GirlScout troops, but it is just not for me. My youngest daughter, however loves it, and she and her husband and daughters go all the time........My older sister loves camping too, and she and her husband go often......

Honored Contributor

Never roughed it in a big way.  Farms had outhouses when I was growing up, but I used the inside facilities.  Slept in a screened in porch, but not in tents.  I don't know how people can go camping with all the wood ticks in our area.

Honored Contributor

Definitelly never went camping, stayed in a cabin at camp as a youth and that was bad enough.

Honored Contributor

I was a Girl Scout and a Girl Scout leader, so yes, I have stayed in rustic cabins and old fashioned tents.  It was fun and my children enjoyed it too.

In the early 90’s, we decided to buy a motor home so that we could do caravan camping with friends.  We would have about five to seven families who would go to the same place together and make a fun week of it.

After a while, some of those friends gave up camping and others decided that they would rather travel alone.  

Over the years, we have traded up and now own two trailers.  One is on a permanent lot at a long term camping groud and the other one we use to travel for vacation use.

We prefer not to use the public bathroom facilities, we use the facilities in our camper...nice and clean and modern.  We have comfortable Sleep Number beds, AC, and a modern kitchen.  We no longer “ rough it”.

Once in a while we have to stay in a motel...and hate it.  We prefer our campers.  I hate to sleep in someones used bed...just gross.

Trusted Contributor

Oh yes. We come from many generations of campers. Before we were married hubby and I bought my grandparents truck and camper. We modified to fit our 3 children.  We would go to Yellowstone every year for years.  We were there when the big fire started, even years after. Devastating. 

Now we have a 27ft. Trailor. We love it. Our son and wife have a pop up tailor and the grandkds are already asking when we are going camping. By the way we live in Ut. and there is no more beautiful place to go camping.

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

I was a Girl Scout and a Girl Scout leader, so yes, I have stayed in rustic cabins and old fashioned tents.  It was fun and my children enjoyed it too.

In the early 90’s, we decided to buy a motor home so that we could do caravan camping with friends.  We would have about five to seven families who would go to the same place together and make a fun week of it.

After a while, some of those friends gave up camping and others decided that they would rather travel alone.  

Over the years, we have traded up and now own two trailers.  One is on a permanent lot at a long term camping groud and the other one we use to travel for vacation use.

We prefer not to use the public bathroom facilities, we use the facilities in our camper...nice and clean and modern.  We have comfortable Sleep Number beds, AC, and a modern kitchen.  We no longer “ rough it”.

Once in a while we have to stay in a motel...and hate it.  We prefer our campers.  I hate to sleep in someones used bed...just gross.

Amen!

Not that I don't stay in hotels, but they skeeve me out. Give me my tent and sleeping bag even before a hotel for cleanliness purposes! lol

I'm much less afraid of nature's bugs than I am the crud and critters in even a high end hotel.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal when I was young -pre teen years, my aunt and uncle took me all over the country with their daughter (she was an only child).  We tent camped...I have lots of pictures and only a few memories, but I did enjoy those summer vacations, as much as I can recall

I never would have had the opporturnity to see so many state parks, bears eating the food in our camp, sharing showers and port a potties if they had not taken me with them.  I wish my cousin and i would have stayed in touch but sadly we did not.

Esteemed Contributor

Tent camping as a teen. You could pick up old Army surplus tents & sleeping bags at an Army Navy surplus store for next to nothing. Funny, I haven't seen a surplus store in ages.

Went camping with a BF when he had a slide in camper on his pickup. So very romantic. Okay, the toilet didn't work but still romantic.

No one mentioned safety as a concern back then. Guess we didn't have a care. Wasn't it great?

Super Contributor

I used to be a camper, lived on a boat for 12 yrs., then switched to a 34ft Winnebago.  Sold all that and now work at a campground and have stayed in the cabins and park models at the campground.