Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of changing the bed, and sheets....

Yes, I do miss them!  

The first Christmas after my husband and I were married,  we bought beautiful printed sets of Dan River percale sheets for our parents, and grandparents at Roses.  My mother is still using the top sheet and the pillowcases from that set, altho the fitted sheet wore out years ago.

I have the top sheet and pillowcases from the set given to my grandparents, and use them on my bed regularly with a white or yellow fitted sheet.   The pink, blue, and yellow flowers are still very colorful, and you would never think that sheet and the pillowcases were bought 41 years ago.   

Trusted Contributor

Overstock.com plus a number of other sites (Better Homes and Garden, Even Amazon, and several others)  have some very nice printed flannel and cotton sheets including Laura Ashley.  I'm not sure where you are looking, but I still see them everywhere. Some I see are too gaudy or with large prints that I don't care for, but others have soft pretty florals and designs. 

Trusted Contributor

I like to sew my own duvet covers. I used to be able to buy sheets separately. I'd buy 2 Queen flat sheets and sew them together like a giant pillowcase to cover my duvets. I'd also buy two matching pillowcases.

I once found some gorgeous Ralph Lauren sheets with a large floral print on clearance at Macys. I sewed them into a duvet with a ruffle all along the edges. I still have and use it, along with some other of my duvet cover creations.

Since I can't find sheet separates anymore the best I can do is purchase duvet cover sets at IKEA. The quality of the "hand" varies greatly depending on where the sets are manufactured.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have beautiful eyelet sheets and bedspread that I just loved...

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah!  I totally agree!  I used to have so many beautful printed sheet sets.  I always bought a plain color comforter and then would jazz it up with all kinds of printed sheet sets.  Loved them.  Some would have lace or eyelet trimming.  Now, its more like I get a printed comforter and all the sheets are a solid color.  O.k. but it does get a little boring.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

does anyone else notice that PRETTY printed sheets just about don't exist anymore?

I know home decor goes through phases, just like fashion, but back in the 80's and 90's I remember seeing and owning some of the most beautiful printed sheets, many were florals, and they literally lasted for decades. As I write this, I'm remembering designs like Laura Ashley and those type florals and prints. Not so much referring to those from the 60's and 70's that are all the rage in vintage stores and decor today (although I have fond memories of those from my growing up years, just not as big a fan of the color palate back then)

Today, most sheets are solids, and don't get me wrong, I love solid sheets because I have a very printed quilt set, and wallpaper, so the solid is a great balance, and I have quite a number of colors in solids to bring out various colors in the quilt.

But I'm missing some of the elegant prints that used to exist. Today, it seems if there are prints, they are geometric (too modern looking for me) or large and bold florals. 

Anyone else missing the beautiful printed sheets of the past?

@Mominohio  Years ago....I purchased some Liz Claiborne printed sheets (soft small watercolor floral pattern) from QVC--Liz used to have a home line on QVC---These sheets are wonderful and so soft and have held up well despite numerous washings....I still use them and even mix and match (use a solid color bottom sheet that matches one of the colors in the print and use the printed top sheet that color coordinates)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I remember them, but I don't like sleeping on printed sheets, dark colored sheets, or for that matter most colored sheets.  A pale pale pink or blue is ok, but white and ivory are my favorites

I said in another recent thread I will spend a lot (or for me a lot) of money on sheets because really really nice ones are wonderful to sleep on.  And they usually last well too.  I couldn't sleep on flannel at all.  Sheets have to be smooth, tight and cool for me to love them.  I turn over a lot at night. . . LOL!!!

@Sooner

I see no shame in being a 'sheet snob'. Having an ill fitting or 'not good feeling' sheet on the bed is like wearing underwear that is uncomfortable, binding or poor fitting. Just a pain!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Land's End-

Pottery Barn-

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

L.L. Bean-

Ultrasoft Comfort Flannel Sheet Set, Stenciled Daisy Ultrasoft Comfort Flannel Sheet Set, Stenciled Daisy Ultrasoft Comfort Flannel Sheet Set, Gingham Seashell Percale Sheet Set Starfish Percale Sheet Set Buoy Percale Sheet Set Whale Percale Sheet Set Premium Egyptian Percale Sheet Set, Print Premium Supima Flannel Sheet, Flat Floral Wrinkle-Free Sheet, Fitted Floral  Wrinkle-Free Sheet, Flat Floral 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale Sheet, Fitted Print  280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale Sheet, Fitted Print 340-Thread-Count Cotton Sateen Sheet, Flat Floral

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

You always post such great pictures and have great suggestions when people post problems, questions and inquiries. I always appreciate how quickly and how much you find to add to the discussion.

These pictures, though, explain exactly how printed sheets have gone back to the 70's, more than those very feminine and pastel (or great burgundy and blues) small floral prints, ruffled pillow cases and borders, sometimes eyelet trims. I just don't see sheets done with that same quality or style anymore.  I may see one of those elements, but rarely do them combine them anymore. I'm sure it is too expensive, and just not old enough to be 'back in style' yet. There is just an absence of the beauty and elegance of bedding from that era.