Honored Contributor

Speaking of changing the bed, and sheets....

does anyone else notice that PRETTY printed sheets just about don't exist anymore?

I know home decor goes through phases, just like fashion, but back in the 80's and 90's I remember seeing and owning some of the most beautiful printed sheets, many were florals, and they literally lasted for decades. As I write this, I'm remembering designs like Laura Ashley and those type florals and prints. Not so much referring to those from the 60's and 70's that are all the rage in vintage stores and decor today (although I have fond memories of those from my growing up years, just not as big a fan of the color palate back then)

Today, most sheets are solids, and don't get me wrong, I love solid sheets because I have a very printed quilt set, and wallpaper, so the solid is a great balance, and I have quite a number of colors in solids to bring out various colors in the quilt.

But I'm missing some of the elegant prints that used to exist. Today, it seems if there are prints, they are geometric (too modern looking for me) or large and bold florals. 

Anyone else missing the beautiful printed sheets of the past?

Valued Contributor

Re: Speaking of changing the bed, and sheets....

@Mominohio  oooh, i loved laura ashley sheets! 

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

I do remember those and actually have a couple sets I use on extra beds.  Mine must be well over 30 years old.  Maybe they will come back in fashion, in time.

Honored Contributor

I remember them, but I don't like sleeping on printed sheets, dark colored sheets, or for that matter most colored sheets.  A pale pale pink or blue is ok, but white and ivory are my favorites

I said in another recent thread I will spend a lot (or for me a lot) of money on sheets because really really nice ones are wonderful to sleep on.  And they usually last well too.  I couldn't sleep on flannel at all.  Sheets have to be smooth, tight and cool for me to love them.  I turn over a lot at night. . . LOL!!!

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I totally agree! I love printed sheets. Love pretty little flowers.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I recommended Dreamscape sheets because they had gorgeous jewel tone sheets that were luxurious and came out of the dryer like satin !!!  Priced at $60 @  SteinMart for king size.

Well, I should have bought several sets then because like most good things I love, they changed their manufacturing process.  Not as good a " hand " and not as good after washing.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@A few years ago I recommended Dreamscape sheets because they had gorgeous jewel tone sheets that were luxurious and came out of the dryer like satin !!!  Priced at $60 @  SteinMart for king size.

Well, I should have bought several sets then because like most good things I love, they changed their manufacturing process.  Not as good a " hand " and not as good after washing.

I get so frustrated by this. Seems like by the time I realize I love that set of sheets, pair of shoes, or style of skillet, you can't find one anymore.

I do pine for the days when you could buy the same thing made by the same company in the same quality (for the same price!!!) for years on end. Now a days, companies thing that they have to keep reinventing the wheel. We all like some new choices, but sure wish they'd keep the good stuff available longer.

@jlkz

Frequent Contributor

I noticed there are some Martha Stewart floral and printed sheets on the Macy's website.  The reason I was even looking at them was the fact that it seems like you never see them anymore.  Growing up, that's all we had.

Honored Contributor

My mom had a beautiful set of dark green floral sheets with the monogram GPK. I can't remember the brand, but it was popular at the time. The GPK stood for "Grace Patricia Kelly"! I don't remember my mom having many plain sheets. When I was first married I received some Williamsburg floral sheets as a gift. DH and I went and bought the matching quilted bedspread! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I remember in the 80's using some geometric printed sheets (not florals) to make duvet covers for my down comforter.  Also remember in the 90's using floral sheets to make a scalloped valance for a long window in my bathroom.

I miss them.

Denise