Honored Contributor

Two of my favorite words! But this isn't for me. I would lighten the walls and go with a lighter, less cluttered southwestern theme. And the swordfish over the window? That doesn't fit at all. The rug and the prints don't go together well. And I'm not crazy about the sofa either. 

If they are going to stick to the southwest style, I think the walls should be darker and more neutral or clay in color. I would suggest fewer accessories too! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

It's a beautiful Southwestern room.  I just don't understand where the Victorian comes from.  If I lived in the West I would love this, but I am not a hot area person.

@luvmybeetle 

It is a Victorian house in Oak Park, Illinois, decorated with an eclectic Southwestern motif.

Wow I would never have guessed that.  I'll bet when people visit they are thrown back.  Very interesting.

Honored Contributor

It appears to have very pricey furnishings but my first thought,

’it looks like a bunch of college guys got their first home to rent &

put the biggest couch they could find in the smallest house

they could find & throw a bunch of cr.ap on the walls.’

Respected Contributor

Southwest and Victorian don't go together in my mind (as one who lives in the SW.)

Respected Contributor

I am not familiar with this decor.  Probably if I lived in the section of the country that has this type of decor I could appreciate it.  It is not an interior I can relate to.

Honored Contributor

Don't think anything in this room is right, except the fireplace and wooden moldings.

None of the furniture, wall decor, and accessories is positioned correctly in this room and there's too much of it.  Some is downright ugly, IMO.  

What to do with the blocked windows that would look much better without furniture blocking part of them?

I like some SW decor but this is a mess and don't think it goes with this house.  

It gets an F minus, minus.  

Honored Contributor

Not my style, although I like the leather sectional and the room looks fun and comfortable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Southwest Victorian

[ Edited ]
  • This is Southwest a la tourist souvenir.   Nothing is authentic.  If you can't do it well, don't do it at all.  Here are homes from Aspen and Trinidad, Co. and Virginia City, Nv.

@Tyak. All of the old mining towns in the West like Aspen, Telluride, Crested Butter and my favorite, Lake City, had their share of modest Victorian mansions.  Most are still being lived in today.  They were, of course,  built by the wealthiest citizens in town

20190809_181731.png

20190809_181406.png

1. 20190809_181007.png
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Nice room... As for the decor, there are just no words... At least no good ones...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Southwest Victorian

[ Edited ]

Gorgeous teal color on the wall with the white trim....and I'll take that rug currently hanging on the wall.  But for the rest of it......just too much clutter in a room, everything needs to be removed.