Respected Contributor

Re: Something really nice happened tonight

@Mominohio  What a nice post.  I always wonder if the items that I donate to Goodwill and The Salvation Army find new owners who love the items as much as I did at one time.  .  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

A real Feel Good story. I too love it when someone can use and appreciates something that I no longer have need for.

Honored Contributor

Loved your story.I was under the impression that young people were not sentimental about items from the past.I was thinking that maybe the cherished memories of our generation would find their way to the land fills after we are gone but maybe there is hope that some will be still loved by future generations.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Loved your story.I was under the impression that young people were not sentimental about items from the past.I was thinking that maybe the cherished memories of our generation would find their way to the land fills after we are gone but maybe there is hope that some will be still loved by future generations.

@dex

I have to say that while I do understand many younger people are not about so many 'things' that previous generations treasured, it is by far not as prevalent as many posters here want us to believe when the topic of what to do with your old 'treasures' comes up. 

I'm sure many posters here have indeed had their children tell them they don't have any interest in inheriting their things (I have a couple of cousins that felt that way about most of their parents things), but there are just as many younger people who do treasure some of the things of the past, whether their own family's past, or just the past in general. 

There are so many Facebook groups and blogs by younger women (many 35 and under) who are buying up and using/displaying/collecting vintage everything. Clothing, furniture, kitchen items, etc. They are on the hunt for those things from the past that remind them of grandma and mom's homes, kitchens and fashions. 

Many of us have kids or nieces and nephews who don't want much of our things, but there are others out there who will and do. 

It was really nice to connect with someone who did!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  Your story touched my heart.  

Honored Contributor

Stories like that are heartwarming. I used to give things away on a swap site our company created for their employees. One lady was thrilled to get a large artificial tree. Her scoundrel ex took their tree just to be spiteful and she couldn't afford such a nice one. Another lady got a nativity scene that I gave away because a wise man had a broken hand. She came to my desk after Christmas and said she got so many compliments on the set. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Isn't it great when we "donate or sell" items and know who takes them will continue to get enjoyment out of them like we did.

I recently sold my KA Pro lift 6qt mixer -- the ladies who bought it were thrilled (not only to get a great buy) because that has been the dream to own one since they loved to bake esp. breads.

Then I sold a sewing machine left by previous owner.  I love to sew but that machine was not for me!  She bought it to teach her grandchildren to sew.  

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day!