Super Contributor

Something I learned about using Bona for laminate floors from their C.S.

My laminate floor has been so dull looking. I have been using the Bona cleaning system for laminate floors. I finally emailed their CS and told them they need to replace my floor; they called back. She asked me to do a couple things, first take off the sprayer on the bottle and tell her the color of the liquid(it was blue), then read her the numbers on the back of the bottle, and finally spray it directly on a mirror and do not wipe it off with a papertowel but let it dry. It left a lot of residue. She then told me that perhaps the solution was old and "breaking down". It shouldn't cloud up the mirror. She said she would send me a new bottle. In the meantime, she told me to clean my floors using a solution of half apple cider vinegar and half water and spray it on and mop with the microfiber mop. I had used vinegar before but never half and half. Anyway, I cleaned my floor 5 times! That's how much residue had been dulling the floor from the Bona. Then I used the white dust mop in that system and buffed the floors. They now look like new.

Today I received a gallon bottle of Bona cleaner but at this point I may not use it at all. I like the vinegar solution better. But it was a lot of work to clean and buff the floor. I also read online a tip from Bob Vila who said to add a couple drops of baby oil to your vinegar solution while mopping to add shine. I'll try that next time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Something I learned about using Bona for laminate floors from their C.S.

I have always wondered about the Bona products. They tried to sell me those products when we bought our engineered hardwoods. I have been using a damp microfiber mop with water. I figured there is water in the Bona products so if I squeeze the water out of the microfiber pad it would be ok to use it. I did not want to use Bona or anything else on it in fear of a build up problem. I think I will continue doing what I'm doing. I may try half apple cider vinegar half water but don't really think I need the vinegar at this point since I know it removes buildup. My floors are not dull looking but they are not the shiny floors either. I don't care for the really shiny hardwoods or tiles. My sisters hardwoods are shiny. I talked to a lady at Penney's while waiting in line yesterday that said they own a flooring store & she has been using Bona on her floors & when she mops a lot of black stuff comes up??? Penney's has a monitor at the checkout counter that came up talking about cleaning your floors is what started our conversation. Bona should tell their customer of this problem. Wonder what's in it the product that would breakdown & cause the buildup. Thanks for posting. Now I don't want to try it. I use the Fuller Brush dust mop to dust the floors & damp mop as needed.

Regular Contributor

That is great to know! I have noticed places on my floor that look the same way. I just ordered some not long ago. I will try this. Thank you for a great tip!!

Super Contributor

yes, black stuff came off on the white dustmop that I used to buff the floors. It took forever for me to finally get a clean floor.

Super Contributor

So good to know thanks all.
Respected Contributor

My two year old engineered hardwood floors look like they did when new. All I have ever used is Bona. The flooring company recommended it. I will stick with it.
Honored Contributor

I have been using a tiny bit of dish soap in warm water to clean my hardwood floors for over twenty years. I recently had a new floor laid, and this company recommended Bona, saying that he wouldn't let me use water. I just ignored him, because why change something that has been working well for so long.

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 chessylady said: My two year old engineered hardwood floors look like they did when new. All I have ever used is Bona. The flooring company recommended it. I will stick with it.

you are probably not using the same Bona product I am. I don't have engineered hardwood flooring, I have the faux wood laminate type so I have Bona's Stone, tile and laminate flooring product. If you have wood, you would be using the product made for wood floors. that one is called Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. It must be different from the laminate type cleaner. I called a flooring expert when I couldn't get the floors dullness removed and he said they "coat" the laminate floors at the factory with something that protects them and makes them shine. He said all those products that say they are made for laminates, actually removes the coating and dulls them.

Unfortunately I learned about all this after I used the product on my floors. But as I said earlier, I did find the solution to clean them and they now look quite nice again.