Honored Contributor

Re: Solving the Tide Pods problem of kids and elders eating them

The clear ones help but they won't totally alleviate the problem.  Little ones will anything in their mouths. It's not just about bright colors.  At a certain age, everything they touch goes into their mouths.    Parents just have to be vigilent and not let themselves get distracted.  Also, they have to avoid doing dumb things like putting detergent pods, be it the bag or just one pod, in the reach of little ones.  And they have to remember that little ones can stretch those little bodies and reach things that we don't think they can reach.  Doing the laundry at night or when the kids are in bed works too.  I always did that.  We didn't have pods back then but we had bleach.  I liked doing my laundry when the kids weren't around.  It started when the were babies and became a habit.

Esteemed Contributor

People need to watch their kids.  Reminds me of the kids that drown every year in Phoenix because adults don’t watch them.

Respected Contributor

When did "elders" start eating the pods?  If anyone finds me eating one, please call for help.

I'll add that I prefer the pods because I don't have to lug a ten pound jug off the shelf every time I need to do laundry.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

I don't use them because I am concerned about the waxy shell that holds the detergent or whatever it is made of.  Concerned about it dissolving in such a way that it won't clog the drain pump or settle into the bottom of the outer tub.  Besides the fact that I use different amounts depending on size of my load, water temp I am using, how dirty the load is so one size doesn't fit every load.

Trusted Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

I don't use them because I am concerned about the waxy shell that holds the detergent or whatever it is made of.  Concerned about it dissolving in such a way that it won't clog the drain pump or settle into the bottom of the outer tub.  Besides the fact that I use different amounts depending on size of my load, water temp I am using, how dirty the load is so one size doesn't fit every load.

The "waxy shell" that you refer to is actually made of polyvinyl alcohol.  It is a water-soluble, biodegradeable compound which can also be found in eye drops.  The hair and dust in your clothes is more likely to clog your drain pump.  

Honored Contributor

I put mine in Lock N Lock's since the package they come in, can be hard for me to open.

Honored Contributor

Or, simply tell your kids (or parents/grandparents/whomever needs to be told) NOT to be stupid and ingest laundry detergents, house cleaners, ANYTHING that isn't actually food. If they are unable to comprehend that information, store them out of reach and out of sight.

I mean, come on. That fact that we are even discussing this issue is pathetic. 

Trusted Contributor

Seriously when did people get so stupid they eat these things, drink bleach,etc.   How about turning a hair dryer on a spot on your arm to see how long it takes to burn you?  Eating a spoonful of Cinnamon to choke on?  It is called the internet and news,  if it wasn't reported on these places it may not happen.  Kids and pools have always been dangerous, but now there are our phones to post pictures, memes, food, blah,blah,blah. Can't watch kids AND play on your phone.  I am always the one to LIFEGUARD the kids, guess what I CANNOT SWIM!!!!!! I can scream though. Again, all thoughts are my own opinion.---tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I love my Tide Pods. Since they don’t contain the powder fillers, my machine never smells bad anymore with their use. This is a huge plus for me. I don’t have to fuss with measuring and my clothes look great. I like the colors on the Pods.

Small children do put things in their mouth though. It can happen so fast a parent can’t notice until it’s too late. This happens even with good supervision.

Tide has put the Pods into packaging that’s difficult for kids to open, which is a good idea, however, the packaging is so hard to reseal for adults that sometimes the bags are partially open. I know mine are. I struggle to reclose the bags correctly. I’d like to see a batter designed bag.

Parents need to store the Pods way out of reach or not buy Pods if they have little kids in the home.

I don’t think I’d like using gray Pods. It gives me the mindset that my clothes will be gray and dingy, even though I know this idea is silly.

Respected Contributor

It is bad to throw the packet in it did stick to my clothes, but I figured out another way because I just can't go bad to bottles detergent for many reasons, cost, storage, and to heavy to lift. So I poke a hole in the bag of' all' detergent packets with a thin twist tie and wala! It works for me. So I only have to store this little bag that they come in. I am so glad they came out with then.And when I was forced to go to the laundry mat it was so much easier to not have to drag a big jug along with me.Sorry not for everyone , but they are my serious solution to the night mare of measuring also.