Honored Contributor

Re: Solving the Tide Pods problem of kids and elders eating them

@jackthebear wrote:

I don't understand the concept of this product, why can't people just pour the amount they need from a bottle?

I get you @jackthebear

I have never purchased them because I like to control the amount of detergent per load, based on load size,  water level I'm using, and how dirty the load is. 

I never use a 'one size fit's all' amount of detergent in every load. Some get more and some get almost none. So the pods never made sense to me because of the lack of flexibility in the amount used per load.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I like the convenience of laundry pods, and the way they are packaged, but while the bag packaging works for me, it resembles the same type of packaging now being used for snacks.   I don’t think that is particularly wise in households with small children or homes where someone has dementia.

The only pod detergent I’ve seen so far with more secure packaging is ALL that comes in a plastic tub with a twist on/off lid.

I’m sure somewhere there were children, and adults with dementia who ate powdered detergent, or drank liquid detergent too, but it’s more prominent now because of the internet.   Regardless of how a product is packaged, safety around small children and adults with dementia still falls on parents and caregivers.   

@RedTop

I totally agree with you!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

I don't understand the concept of this product, why can't people just pour the amount they need from a bottle?

I get you @jackthebear

I have never purchased them because I like to control the amount of detergent per load, based on load size,  water level I'm using, and how dirty the load is. 

I never use a 'one size fit's all' amount of detergent in every load. Some get more and some get almost none. So the pods never made sense to me because of the lack of flexibility in the amount used per load.

totally agree with you for the same reasons

and the pods are so much more expensive/oz than a bottle

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who is to say that the regular color of the Blue Tide liquid wouldn't be considred attractive or look like blue Kool Aid or Blueberry Juice.....Parents and caregivers are the ones that need to accept responsibility.....Put them in a secure place that makes it difficult for children/or those with dementia cant get to them... 

There's other cleaning products such as toilet bowl cleaners that come in small shapes and in colors......Are they going to ban EVERYTHING beause people won't take responsibility....

I think the colors must have something to do with the different fragrances....

This reminds me of the court case where a mother was suing neighbors that threw a wild party and left beer cans and liquor bottles around (even used condoms)....the mother submitted photos....And her 2 year old toddler went around drinking the beer left in the cans (thinking it was soda)....the kid got sick and she had to rush her to the ER, hence the mother suing the neighbor for medical bills......The judge asked the mother where she was when her child was doing this....And the mother replied out in the front yard with her child!!!  And the judge asked, why didn't you stop her from doing this....and then the mother SHEEPISHLY admitted she was on her phone on Facebook......Woman Frustrated  The Judge dismissed her case, since it was the mother's responsibility to watch her child........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

There are many toxic, dangerous products.

Tide should not have to change their colors.

People need to smarten up.

Of course small children don't know better, but their parents/caregivers should.

Honored Contributor

I use the new liquid Tide detergent that cost alot less.  It really cleans my clothes.  I use to use Arm & Hammer & All but when I changed to Tide, boy, did it make a difference in brightness of my clothes. For some reason, I have no interest in pods for clothes.  I prefer the liquid. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Not having to store a soap bottle and pick it up to pour the soap out is  a huge blessing for me. My strenth in my arms isn't what it used to be , and storagage is not problem with small sacks of soap pods. I use the all liquid pods, they a blue liquid. I just poke a tiny hole in the pod and squeeze the soap out, also saves on my back and neck. If you have pain you would appreciate the pods.Keepimg any cleaning agent was always necessary when kids were around, nothing new there.And I do think they look like candy, but kid proof is a joke , I worked in a day care at one time years ago and  have people come in and bring child-proof items in and almost 9 ouf 10 kids could open them.Especially prescription bottles, and I had problem with them. Didn't take them long to figure them out.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Lol. How about locking them up of pur thrm where kids cant get thrm like every other armful thing you have in your house.

@ccassaday  Because that would require common sense.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

The convenience of not carrying heavy bottles, not all people have a washer and dryer in their home so not having to carry an even heavier load wins hands down @jackthebear.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I'm happy with liquid detergent - never tried pods so their color would not influence me. I remember using granular detergent before liquids became popular.