Regular Contributor

Soft mattress pad recommendations?

I am looking for a new pattress pad.  Something that is soft and comfortable on top.  Maybe later on, especially when I get a new mattress pad, I will add another pad that is waterproof.  But for now I'm focusing on comfort.  

I'm so sick of reading online reviews.  I plan on going shopping and looking at some in the stores around town.  

I would love to hear if anyone has recommendations.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Soft mattress pad recommendations?

This is what I've done- I have a firmish 13" foam mattress, on top of that, a Costco 3" Gel mattress pad, on top of THAT, a CuddlEwe mattress topper.

I have fibro and a sleep disorder, and my combination works great FOR ME. 

I also use a body pillow. 

Unfortunately, each individual needs his/her own specific combination for success. What I have found is that I DO need my firm(ish) support under everything, BUT I have to have a very soft supportive layer that I can sink down into.

The CuddlEwe is VERY expensive but mine has served me well for the last 8 or so years, and I would NEVER be without one.

I hope you are successful in your search!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the Cuddle Ewe.  I have a lambswool pad from Overstock (less expensive) and I would fight you for it!  I got my son one and he says it's 'sweet'.  Well worth the price.  Overstock has a return policy if you don't like it.

Respected Contributor

I have a very good firm mattress.  On top of that is a quilted mattress pad, just to protect the mattress.  Later, I bought a 3" memory foam pad and on top of that I have a waterproof mattress pad (from QVC many years ago - it's terry cloth on top and the waterproofing underneath).  I felt it was very important to protect the memory foam and the mattress by having waterproofing.  I'm not getting any younger (66) and you just never know.

I have low back and neck problems and this combination has worked well for me for several years.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Regular Contributor

I should have specified.  CuddleEwe looks awesome. 

But I can only afford something in the $50-75 range right now.  

Respected Contributor

I have one similar to these from the other channel's Concierge Collection.  Mine is wonderful and I got it on clearance for around $40 for a queen size.  It has held up wonderfully and is still super soft!  They have many to choose from on clearance and some not, but in your price range.  They have a nice thick fiberbed pad that I'm looking at for the winter since it will be more plush than the one I have now that is 2" thick.  

It washes well and has held up!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dreamchaser wrote:

I should have specified.  CuddleEwe looks awesome. 

But I can only afford something in the $50-75 range right now.  

Try to find a way to afford a wool one.  Actually, you can't afford not to, your good sleep is well worth it.  I know frugal, but once you sleep on it, you will thank yourself.

Check out Overstock.  They are reliable.

Respected Contributor

Zhills and Violann: I have fibromyalgia. Do the Cuddle Ewe toppers make you hot? Do they really help with the pain and increased quality of sleep?
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tigress.  Did you get some heat relief this week?  Pensacola had 55 this morning.

My wool mattress pad kept us from having to buy a new mattress.  Have a new Sterns & Foster with memory foam top.  Body heat makes memory soften and "dip" beneath you. 

I bought mine for comfort but found out that the wool actually keeps the body heat form reaching the mattress, so the mattress does not sink beneath you. 

The wool is separate hairs and it's almost like a 'blanket' of air beneath you.  No, it is not hot and it is not warm.  It seems to keep your body temp whatever it is.  I was amazed at the difference mine made.  It is really hard to describe. 

My daughter is a nurse and she said (before everything was sterile and disposable) they used wool pads for their patients to prevent bed sores.  I can understand why.  Also, they are machine washable.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, ZHills! We were 68 this morning, but warmed up to 92 with a heat index of 99 today, so only relief before the sun rises. I am glad to know that it doesn't raise your body temp and that it will be wonderful relief for my fibromyalgia. I'm ready for some relief from it, as the temperature will soon be 20-30 degree different between day and night. That is what really sets my fibro off. It is beginning but I want to head it off before it gets bad!