Honored Contributor

Re: So, who likes columns in interior architecture?

@spiderw wrote:

The only columns I like are the ones that have a base beneath as in the last picture.  I do not care for the columns standing alone.

@spiderw All of mine are atop a knee wall.  I don't have any free-standing ones.  I think the free-stand columns are more likely to interfere with the flow, but I do like them to when placed appropriately.

Valued Contributor

I am British so I’m viewing them through that prism.

I can see the advantages of them but culturally, the aesthetic is a tough one for me to appreciate in a normal home.   

Esteemed Contributor

I really like them a lot.  Some, more than others.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I like them and I have ones like the third photo down between our library and dining room. They are fun and actually unexpected and yes a good way to separate rooms but still have the open concept.

Honored Contributor

I used to like them but they feel a little passé to me now. 

Valued Contributor

I dislike interior columns so much that when we were house hunting for our current home -- I was out at the first sign of one.  To me it didn't matter than the rooms were very large.  I never even made it to see the upstairs.  Our realtor told us that she had several other customers at the same time we were looking who felt the same way.  After the first day of showing us homes -- she no longer took us to see anything with interior columns.

Honored Contributor

Sparingly, and in the right application, they can be very handsome.  The ones I did not care for were the very short, truncated-looking, massive ones--  they did not have that graceful, classic look I associated with "good" columns, ha.

I tend to like quirky, very old, English cottages, where you will sometimes find the odd supporting post or column, needed for structural integrity.  I'm fine with those-- they add an idiosyncratic character and charm....

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, they add architectural interest often lacking in today's houses.

Particularly like photos 3 and 6.  

Honored Contributor

faeriemoon

I think your idea of having columns on a knee board sounds appealing and I am sure it looks lovely.  It's all about taste and what makes us happy in our homes!

Esteemed Contributor

My son has round columns that define his dining and living rooms. 
 His wife wrapped red tinsel around them at Christmas making them look like candy canes. I don't like them now because when she pulled it off some still remains years later!

They are separated now!