Valued Contributor

Re: So, should we just all lie?

Tell her you like the light blue kitchen cabinets that should get the convo. flowing.

Valued Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

Tell her you like the light blue kitchen cabinets that should get the convo. flowing.

@giddy up  LOL! That’s when the hostess throws the casserole out the window!

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   I still say unless they are warned in advance to answer grey when she asks what color do you think this is how are they supposed to know to say grey if it appears ilac or purple to them?  Now if she says I painted my kitchen grey how do you like it then I would say it's lovely. I have not read anything in your posts to indicate that people were arguing with her or insulting her or even telling her tht it wasn't grey. Don't ask me what color I see if you want me to see what you see. I don't know what you see.  I have to agree that she is doubting her color choice and is looking for people to agree with her that it is grey. The paint chip will tell her what colors were added to the base to tint it. If she likes the color  what does it matter to her what others see?

I agree 100%.

The idea of her inviting people over and having quiz time of "what color is my new kitchen?"  Has many of us filled with dread because no one says gray and then she gets angry.

The world sees color with a different lens.

Super Contributor

As someone who was considering my old, awful, damaged oak veneer cabinets gray because I hate white...I have to thank all of you. I had no idea that gray could be such a problematic color. I have learned a great deal from everyone sharing their experiences with choosing gray as a decorating color. These forums are truly a gem sometimes to me. Perhaps I shall just paint mine purple and have done with it. Cat Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

mememe:  "The world sees color with a different lens."

So true.  I see color differently with each eye.  I've helped people with landscaping and when they would ask me about color, my stock response was "it's subjective".

I hope your friend grows to like it.  It's funny how change and misplaced expectations can cause agita.

Maybe she can work with it, in accessories, to tie it all in.  I think a blend of related colors is fabulous.

To your question:  I'd tell her as I saw it but I would ask, "why do you ask"?  Maybe she and someone else are in dispute over it.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Of course the decent thing to do is just say the paint color is lovely.  She'll figure it out on her own soon enough.  What I've learned about paint is that all colors have another color undertone.  White, for example, can have green, yellow or beige undertones just to name a few.  Unfortunately, the way a color looks on a little chip or on someone else's wall can be deceiving.  That's why it's good to buy samples and paint a few areas before deciding on a complete redo.  I painted my bedroom five times before I finally found the right color for the room, light, shadows, etc.  My kitchen had four colors in light and dark shades.  The sample cans are worth purchasing to avoid making big mistakes.  I had to learn the hard way.  Good luck to your friend.  IF one of you is very close to her and she asks for an honest opinion, then yes, she should be told the truth.  Let us know what happens. 

@Jaspersmom, also lighting can make all the difference  Even my hair is a different color depending on what lighting it is seen under.  Speaking of undertones, I painted my bathroom a color called Scalloped Shell which was a cream with the slightest pink undertone in it.  My husband walked in and said "Kinda pink isn't it?".  Of course, he thinks all walls should be painted beige.

Super Contributor

I wonder if placing dark purple or dark blue accessories against the gray she chose would then make her paint appear "grayer"? Or something like that. You know...cheat the paint color a bit by choosing things to hang or go on the counters that would pull more contrast so that the gray looks gray. And definitely no stainless around it if at all possible? She may not need to repaint even. Perhaps a topcoat of some kind to protect and then also "cheat" the color?

Anyway, I bet it still looks lovely and probably quite unique (in a good way). Anyone can choose a solid flat dove gray. Smiley Wink  Sounds like it would be cheerful to walk into each morning! Soothing and lovely. Heck, get some bright yellow accessories to really make it lovely, like a spring garden I just know this I should not going to be some people's cup of tea, I am just trying to figure out how to keep a positive spin on it for her.

Also, the thing to say to her may have to be something's like, "It really is a lovely unique color. It seems to change with the light. One moment it looks gray and the next it takes on such a soothing sunrise gray tone."  Smiley Wink Y'all know that dusky softly purple gray at sunrise that I am talking about?

Trusted Contributor

When the topic comes up, just say "Heavans, are we still on that again? Please can we talk about something else?".

I know it is manipulative, but so is repeatedly bringing up this subject to friends.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like maybe she knows that it doesn't look like the color she assumed it would be and possibly isn't happy with it... No, I wouldn't lie about what I perceive the color to be... Personally, I think she should be glad it turned out to be a chameleon color... A grey kitchen and eating area has no appeal for me whatsoever...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Sounds like maybe she knows that it doesn't look like the color she assumed it would be and possibly isn't happy with it... No, I wouldn't lie about what I perceive the color to be... Personally, I think she should be glad it turned out to be a chameleon color... A grey kitchen and eating area has no appeal for me whatsoever...

@stevieb  I agree. A friend of mine has a grey kitchen with stainless steel appliances and white countertops. It looks like a morgue.