Frequent Contributor

Re: Snakes around the house..

Try mothballs. We had a problem with snakes living in our stone steps, in New England where stone is used for everything. They would coil up and sun. Not fun to walk out and see a snake coiled up on the bottom step. Anyway, my DH tried putting mothballs around the steps and it worked. We hardly ever see snakes now. Apparently they don't like the smell of the mothballs. Use gloves when placing the mothballs, and use sparingly at first.

The mothballs don't seem to bother the birds or chipmunks.

Frequent Contributor

@sarahpanda Just remembered you mentioned dogs. If your daughter has dogs, she would want to put the mothballs where the dogs couldn't get at them. My dogs never seemed interested in them, but you wouldn't want to take a chance. We also threw mothballs way under the deck where we saw snakes at times. We had a real snake issue for a while.

Regular Contributor

She needs St. Patrick.Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

oh heck no!!! either the snake goes or i do... lol

Frequent Contributor

Home Depot- Snake Away. Sprinkle around the area where you want to deter snakes. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with using Snake-A-way, lime, or mothballs. Lime and Snake-A-way have to be reapplied after a rain.

My husband has killed 2 snakes already with the lawn mower. We have had a snake issue for years due to a rat problem from our 2 outside dogs, my brothers chickens, and our trashy neighbors who throw their household trash in the yard. We are always on snake alert, but leave the little garter snakes alone.

Our problem snakes are HUGE black snakes, 4-6 ft long. My brother got rid of his chickens, the chicken house, and a woodpile, so those snakes moved to my woodpile. As long as they stay in the woodpile, and catch rodents, all is good, but when the large snakes I'm talking about are on my porch or trying to get in my garage, they have to die. Large snakes that have claimed their territory don't run away, and unless you're a trained snake handler, you will not relocate a snake of this size without getting a nasty bite. We have no barns or outbuildings, and are not willing to share our home with snakes this size.

@Mom2Dogs, I hope your BIL is watching for that timber rattler, as it is probably still very close if it came on the porch to shed.
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, never gave any thought to worries about harmful snakes.  Nothing poison comes to my part of the world and I have never seen a dog stoop to even notice a snake.

I have them around and let them perform their magic on any mice out in the shed.

If we have sun, do see them on the driveway sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop ...thanks, I will remind him...I'll also mention the mothballs...may or may not work but I'd be nervous about the snake.

I'll have to read about the snakes, I don't know why they shed their skin.