Honored Contributor

Re: Smelly facecloths/towels

living in FL and my washer & dryer are in the garage I never leave clothes for any period of time in washer as others told me they would get a mildew smell quicker.  Upon moving in I purchased new washer and dryer.

I have 3 year old Whirlpool top loader water sensor high efficient washer and I started to have the same issues!

I called the tech to come and service it -- my clothes even were smelling "musty", towels (both dish and bath) worse!  I was using Tide Free or Purex free because I'm highly allergic to perfumes, scents, etc. Never use fabric softener but dryer sheets.

I gave him one of my towels that "smelled".

He checked the water sensor of the machine. It was NOT filling enough water in the washing cycle, therefore, the rinse was not rinsing out the detergent. He also found the spin cycle was off leaving clothes too wet at end of cycle (they should be damp after spin cycle).

Then, he suggested changing over to ALL free & clear detergent. No scents, phosphates, chemical additives. 

I don't know if it's a coincidence but since I started using All and repair no more smells.  Maybe you're machine needs a check-up because I know it's one of the most used appliances in my house.  As for towels, I buy only 100% cotton and tea (linen) towels for kitchen use.