Respected Contributor

Re: Smelly facecloths/towels

@Ladybug837 wrote:

It sounds like a mold/mildew problem since it's worst on the really wet towels. I've had this problem before and the only thing that really gets the smell out is bleach. 

@Ladybug837

I've tried bleach but it didn't help at all. Thanks for your suggestion, though. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter had this problem and it was because the housekeeper would "feel" of the towels to determine if they were dry (of course the outside loops are) but the woven part was not totally dry. 

You notice it on the washclothes but it is probably in the towels as well, they don't normally cross our faces.

We found the problem to be in drying.  Wash the towels and rinse with vinegar (my washer has a place to pour liquid softener).

Dry the towels as usual, then reset and dry them an extra 10-15 minutes.  That solved her problem.

When the towels are folded with the center slightly damp, this smell develops.  It probably washes out and redevelops with each washing.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Lots of good replies here already.

My two cents worth:

If you have a front loader with smell issues, it may be the first issue you have to deal with. You could try taking them to the laundromat, just to see if it is your machine.

I use hot water on all towels even if they are dark.

Vinegar in the WASH cycle, and then turn the machine off and let soak for an hour. Use a lot of vinegar for a full load. At least two cups.

Try very little soap in the load, in case that is part of the problem. 

A little bit of fabric softener (I only use liquid, much less than the bottle calls for,  and heavily dilute it) is a good thing. I don't buy into the whole, 'no fabric softener' thing for most fabrics. People just use way too much. I think the laundry needs a little for static and for softness. I can't even smell it in my clothing, I use so little.

Hot dryer.

Are all your towels with this problem the same brand,style, color, or does it run across many different ones? 

If you have many brands and styles and this is happening, it has to be something the way or place they are hung to dry, in your water (we have well water and it can be a problem sometimes) or in your chemicals used to wash and dry. 

If it is just one brand or style, then maybe they are the problem, and not your washing routine.

Good luck!

@Mominohio

I have a top loader.

Those are some good suggestions, thanks!  So you just use vinegar, no baking soda at all?

We have a water softener so I don't know if that has any bearing on it. I would think that would be a plus?

I use dryer sheets, rather than liquid fabric softener.

The facecloths and towels are all different brands and materials. Oddly enough, I have found the problem to be worse with the "quick drying" facecloths and towels I bought a couple of years ago at Kohl's. I would think that if they dry more quickly, they're less likely to retain moisture/odors.  Go figure.

@Texasmouse

I don't use baking soda, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Again, for a full load of towels, I'd guess you'd want to use about a half a box (the size you get at the grocery store for baking) per load. Hot water, and soak for a while.

I'd suggest using just the baking soda, or just the vinegar alone first, to see if one or the other works, and if not, combining them shouldn't hurt anything for a final try.

Is your top loader an HE that doesn't fill totally with water, or is it an old fashioned machine that you get a big full tub of water?

If it isn't the kind to fill totally, try washing just a few at a time to see if you can get more water swishing around them.

And I'll stress that hot dryer.

If these things don't work, perhaps the towels have mildew in them, and that usually can't be gotten out (although I've never had the issue of the smell lingering with mildew stained clothing, just the marks from it). 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills and @Mominohio

I think the suggestion of making sure the towels are dried thoroughly is a good one.  Also, I usually have my dryer setting on "low" so as not to break down elastic components in my clothes (such as spandex or lycra) but I can see that it makes sense to put it on "high" if only when drying towels and facecloths.

mominohio, I have the old-fashioned top loader that allows me to fill the tub and soak things, so I'll try your suggestion of soaking too. 

Thanks again, ladies! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Zhills and @Mominohio

I think the suggestion of making sure the towels are dried thoroughly is a good one.  Also, I usually have my dryer setting on "low" so as not to do break down elastic components in my clothes (such as spandex or lycra) but I can see that it makes sense to put it on "high" if only when drying towels and facecloths.

mominohio, I have the old-fashioned top loader that allows me to fill the tub and soak things, so I'll try your suggestion of soaking too. 

Thanks again, ladies! Smiley Happy

Sounds like drying the towels separately might be your solution.  Dry on medium or high heat and give them extra time.  Worked for us.  Hope it works for you.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse

On the website One Good Thing by Jillee you will see categories at the top of the page. Under Solutions a drop down will show laundry.  There are helpful ideas on this site.  Many incorporate what others have mentioned.  When was the last time you cleaned your washing machine?  Several products are available or using bleach and hot water through an entire cycle.  Have you cleaned your dryer drum with a sanitizing wipe (one without bleach) to remove the oils from the dryer sheets, for general germs and always leave the door open to allow the dryer drum to completely dry out inside?  Do you remove your towels from the dryer right away once dried?  These are some questions I was asked after having problems with our washer/dryer and the smell issues. HTH

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse---If anything goes wrong with your washer, FIX IT, don't get a new energy washer, they are ******.  My washer has that low agitator and doesnt fill  or wash hard. I HATE it with a passion.  I have never had dinghy whites, now I have dinghy off whites.  I am so ready to look into a normal washer.  I used to wash EVERYTHING in hot water, but this thing goes hot for 2seconds, then back to cold far longer, then 2more seconds of hot,then cold.  So I can't even wash in HOT at all.  SO STUPID.  I have always added bleach to my towels and the dark ones look like it!!. Smell like bleach,too.   I have mostly white and light colors in all towels,etc and when they look bad I toss them.  Vinegar, baking soda and Borax don't even help.  My DH has always been a WHITE tshirt kinda guy, now he is an off white.  Can't get stains out of anything.     REMEMBER***REPAIR YOUR WASHER!!!!!!! DON'T REPLACE>--tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Texasmouse

On the website One Good Thing by Jillee you will see categories at the top of the page. Under Solutions a drop down will show laundry.  There are helpful ideas on this site.  Many incorporate what others have mentioned.  When was the last time you cleaned your washing machine?  Several products are available or using bleach and hot water through an entire cycle.  Have you cleaned your dryer drum with a sanitizing wipe (one without bleach) to remove the oils from the dryer sheets, for general germs and always leave the door open to allow the dryer drum to completely dry out inside?  Do you remove your towels from the dryer right away once dried?  These are some questions I was asked after having problems with our washer/dryer and the smell issues. HTH

@butterfly123

I would suspect my machines if there was a smell coming from them or if my other clothes had an odor but really, it's just some of my facecloths and towels.  Yes, I do take them out of the dryer as soon as it stops but, like some other posters mentioned, it's possible that they're not getting COMPLETELY dry and if any moisture remains, that could be one of the reasons for the odor. 

Thanks for the info on the website, I'll be sure to check it out!

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse@tedEbear

Texasmouse,  I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else by stating the questions I was asked by the W/D repair man. tedEbear, we bought a HE W/D set. I agree with eveything you posted.  I wish we could sell this set and go back to the previous washing machine.

Honored Contributor

I never use facecloths on my face. 

I like using pure organic cotton squares by (Koh Gen Do) for taking off makeup and cleaning my face.  I also use a gentle, organic exfoliator every night.

However I do use them (washcloths) when I bathe and only use them once and they get washed.

Bath towels we do use twice a day, morning shower and night shower/bath.

I use Seventh Generation laundry liquid and rarely use their softener, but have it on hand.

I never use the dryer.  Everything gets hung out on the line outside in the sunlight. 

Make sure your bathroom is properly ventilated.  If an open window isn't enough, the fan should run till all the moisture is out after bathing and especially showering.

That could be the problem if you let your towels and cloths hang to dry on the rack.