Super Contributor

I just stumbled across these on here. They also offer unfinished in the first one, and a dark finish in the second one. These kits can be crazy expensive. Granted these aren't a drop in the bucket here, either. S/H is a beast. So, maybe wait until a "Free Shipping" event. I had no clue they sold them here. 

fullsizeoutput_226c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_226b.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care Those look so cumbersome to me.  I guess people like them though.  Also like they wouldn't really close well. 

Super Contributor

I agree on privacy. If I had a pantry I wouldn't mind one. Maybe for a closet or to close off a dining room.

I considered making a large one in the past for the laundry closet that is in the kitchen. I figured it would look better than the shuttered bi-fold doors they installed in the 70s, and help with the sound. But, the price would've been crazy just for the door and hardware, then I'd have to install it, and hope it would work right. Nah. Bi-folds are fine. 😂

Honored Contributor

I figure they're a fad and in 20 or 30 years, they'll look silly unless you live in a barn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've seen a few of these on HGTV.  I would have thought they would be cumbersome, but they seemed to work effortlessly.  Seeing as we already live in a log cabin, living in a barn doesn't seem that far from a possibility.  As nice one, of course.  We didn't have HGTV at our old house, bad cable system, but I would have done a few things differently if I had seen some of these shows before we built 12 years ago.  

Honored Contributor

I like them but wouldn't want them.  I think they're too much of a fad.  My father recently moved into a memory care facility that just opened this year.  He has a sliding barn door to his bathroom.  It's fine for him, but it really doesn't close completely.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Step away from the Big Box store.........

I asked locally. Found a guy who will build custom, oak, brown maple or pine for $150. About $50 for hardware. Install was negotiable. 

Keep in mind you may need to remove an old door frame, door & hardware as well as patch any drywall and/or add reinforcement to the sliding track.

I have the rustic Up North cabin in the pines look so I may do it.

Respected Contributor

I liked the look a while back, but it does seem like a fad that’s done every which way..... I’m kind of over it already.

Honored Contributor

Google "sliding barn doors" and check Amazon .... looks like lots of price bargains out there.

They are sort of the rustic version of pocket doors.  I had pocket doors in my last house.  Great solution to limited space to open ordinary doors.

Trusted Contributor

Our basement door is in the dining room. When we remodeled our kitchen and dining room a couple of years ago, we replaced the ugly bifold basement door with a sliding barn door. It's one solid piece of wood painted white like the regular doors in the house, so it's not so barn looking. Our dining space is small, and it's nice not having a door that sticks out or swings out into the room.