Trusted Contributor

In our bathroom in the basement, the shower has a sliding door.  We do not use that shower, so I store in the shower the large packages I get from Costco of toliet paper, paper towels, etc.   The glass is blurred but I can still see when looking through the glass that there is something stored behind the shower door.

What are your thoughts on:

1) Putting up an expandable shower rod and hanging a shower curtain to cover the door; or

2) Putting up some privacy film on the doors;

or....

Do you have any suggestions (besides not storing anything in the shower)!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Ummmm.........you need to run water down that shower drain once in a while.......or you will get "sewer gas"......(it's not pleasant.....like rotten eggs)

BOTH your camouflage ideas for the shower door sound great.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop    My mother always used a shower curtin with the glass doors just because the glass and tracks was a PIA to clean. You can get opaque white curtains. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi , we had a plumber come out and shut off the water.  Whenever we do sell the home we'll have the water turned back on.

Respected Contributor

Do many people coming through your house use the basement bathroom? I know if I used a bathroom that had a shower curtain in front of shower doors I would want to know why and push them aside. I guess I'm just nosey. 

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop  I would just put some sort of film on the doors to add privacy.  

I would try the kind that you put on windows to block the sun, available at Lowes or Home Depot.  Easy to install and easy to remove and not expensive.   They have light, dark, or decorative available.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor
I have a shower/bathtub combo that I use all the time. The doors are water stained and nothing has worked to clean them. I hung an expandable curtain rod just a little below the ceiling and well above the top of the shower. I have a set of white sheer drapes hanging from it that go to the bottom of the tub. This disguises the shower doors for me and it is still easy to use the tub. This would not solve your problem of disguising what is in the tub but the concept could be changed to better suit what you need. Good luck with your project!
Honored Contributor

In our secondary bathroom that has a tub/shower combo, we had the sliding doors removed.  HATE them!  In another bathroom that had a walk in shower (prior home), I put up a tension rod and shower curtain and it worked out fine.  IMO film on the door would look cheap.

Good luck!  Hate those sliding glass doors--did I say that before?????

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@Desertdi , we had a plumber come out and shut off the water.  Whenever we do sell the home we'll have the water turned back on.

@BunSnoop The water being on or off doesn't matter. When the water in the trap evaporates it will allow sewer gas to come out of the drain. You still have to occasionally put water in the drain trap -- even if you have to do it with a cup of water from a different faucet. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of my widowed great aunts had a curtain for the tub in a spare bathroom.

Then one day my mom checked.

Had a tub full of unopened mail, you know, car and life insurance and such.

If you put up a curtain, watch out 🙄