Respected Contributor

I have long been a fan of NEST and Trapp candles. I saw the Slatkin candles but don't know anything about them. Are they comparable to NEST or Trapp? Are the scents realistic? Do they burn evenly? 

Any advice or recommendations would be helpful in my purchase decision making! TIA!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

never bought candles in here...but i am obsessed with bath & body works 3 wick candles. they are expensive, but when there's a sale i stock up. Normally they are 24 - 26.50.. Which is crazy, so during a sale. i've been knows to get over 12.. lol.. i have 2 burning now.. once a yr the 1st week of december, they are on sale for i think its 11.95 or around there.. You must give them a try.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, I don't find anything special about his line compared to Yankee or Bath & Body Works.   I also feel Slatkin candles are overpriced.   Though some people love them and that's fine, but not me.

Honored Contributor

I only had one Slatkin candle and it wasn't the big deal they made it out to be.  It did not burn evenly and the scent did not disperse very far.  

Honored Contributor

I just have not had good luck with his,the throw is not good, i like goose creek candles ,online store.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I just have not had good luck with his,the throw is not good, i like goose creek candles ,online 

I love Goosecreek!  I buy the candles and the wax melts.  I just ordered some to get us through Thanksgiving.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I just have not had good luck with his,the throw is not good, i like goose creek candles ,online 

I love Goosecreek!  I buy the candles and the wax melts.  I just ordered some to get us through Thanksgiving.  

I like, swan creek wax melts,they are also good.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@Jacie 

I haven't purchased NEST or Trapp candles, but I do know NEST is considered to be a very high end candle line (the founder is Harry Slatkin's wife).  I have seen NEST reviews online and they seem to be the best of the best.

I would say that Harry's candles are NOT that kind of quality.  They are probably considered one step above BBW or Yankee Candle.  Even that is being generous because the quality of his candles has gone downhill, while his prices have skyrocketed.

The scent and burn on his candles are inconsistent as well.  For example, there have been many complaints about "drowing wicks" or wicks that have very small flames.  Sometimes the wicks/wick clips move while you are burning the candle, which ruins it.  You can only burn these for 2-3 hours or you will end up having some issues.  The scents are often not as described.  For example, you might think you are getting an apple scented candle, but it ends up being heavy on a floral note.  Very few of his candles smell exactly the way you think they are going to smell.  I've been disappointed in more than my fair share. 

That being said, you should probably try them out for yourself first to see what you think.  Some people are obsessed with his candles and think they are amazing.  More recently, HomeGoods, TJ Maxx and Marshall's have been selling many of the same scents that are on QVC.  They are $16.99 and you can actually smell them first, which is a HUGE deal for me personally.  This summer I found so many of his candles in my local stores.  On-air it seemed like I would love them, but in person, I didn't like them one bit.  I was SO happy to have the chance to smell them in person and put them back down when they weren't what I thought they would be.  Money saved!

Respected Contributor

@Jacie I might be late to respond, but, my two cents on Slatkin..

I've been a fan in the past, and purchased quite a few. I haven't in the past 3 years purchased any real candles, since painting my condo...don't want the soot anymore, which did accumulate on my walls and ceiling fans, over time...I believe from many burning candles and one or two issues with my fireplace backdraft (don't burn that anymore either.)

That said...here's my expeience. His fragrances are wonderful, accurate, lasting at least half-way down....sometimes after that I smell them a little less. They also burn evenly and no accumulation of wax along the sides of the jar, like with Yankee Candle or some others I've used.

What I didn't like at all...extremely sooty. Which is what they advertise they shouldn't do, but for me, mine did...the sides of the glass jars got very sooty, so I knew that soot is going into my environment. Also, I don't believe his are soy. If they are, well must be still something causing soot.

I recently did a lot of Google searching and reading up on ratings of "good" brands of candles, environmentally clean etc, vs. brands that rated low. Slatkin was in the latter category on these lists.

IF I ever burn any in the house again (I still burn them on the porch and occasionally in the kitchen which has yet to be revamped and painted) I'd buy some of the other brands I saw when I Googled.

Good luck deciding...there are many high end, environmentally conscious brands out there everywhere now...pricey, but some I've seen in boutiques smell delightful. Hope this helps!

PS. This year I've switched to wall plug-ins for fragrance, and also have used fragrance sticks in the past too...been working nicely, and cleaner.

Honored Contributor

No I don' have any candles--I tossed all of them away--think they are dangerous and way too pricy and trying to dust them is impossible---