Respected Contributor

Re: Sinkhole in the backyard

The burning and melting of plastics do give off very toxic gasses, but those can be captured in an air scrubber for cleaning. Most sub divisions that are built are done so on a landfill, so that aspect has been well proven to withstand. I don't think once the plastics have cured latching of chemicals would occur, just during the melting process.  I'm sure some type of epoxy t material could be designed with it. Many sinkholes are filled with drains to direct futurewater flow and fill with concrete materials used in landfills so road and building scrapes.

Honored Contributor

We heard from our former next door neighbor after the township dug out the sinkhole. It appears there is a storm sewer pipe going through the property that was quite old and had collapsed. They will repair it and fill the hole in, then plant grass. I am glad for the people who own it now.

Respected Contributor

Wow, that is really great, because that could be very expensive to fix even on insurance. The town will have to fix it right or it really could be a more serious problem closer to the house.