Esteemed Contributor

Simple ideas for decorating large lanterns

I have multiple large lanterns that I'm donating donating for fund-raising at local animal rescues.  They are all like new.

However, I thought they might be more appealing with something filling the interiors.  

I'm considering some floral garlands and flameless candles, but would love to know thoughts from those that have embellished their own lanterns.

Obviously, I want to keep it simple and inexpensive, but still make it more attractive than an empty lantern.

Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: Simple ideas for decorating large lanterns

@Witchy Woman  For Valentines you could put a flamless candle in the center. Go to the $ store and get some bowl filler for the holiday and use that. Or you could buy enough filler to fill the lantern and use the fairy lights on a timer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer flameless candles without other fillers in my lanterns.  I think it is a personal preference thing.  You could include batteries in the candles.  I think it is great that you are donating them instead of tossing them.  Someone will love them and animals will benefit. Woman Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs 

The more I thought about it, the more I think I'll keep it simple.

Anyone buying them will want to add their own touches.

I've got at least a dozen flameless candles of varying heights that will have batteries in them.  

While it might be fun to have some charming scene inside, I think they have a better chance of selling without that.

Sometimes, you've just got to think about things. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I would put a beautiful bow on top of the lantern and a candle inside.  You can get inexpensive candles at big lots or similar

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman , I do mine seasonally.  They are large...3' tall.  I keep mini lights in them Year round and a 2'flameless candle which comes on each day at dusk.  I was lucky to find such large candles.  Saw them once and snapped them up.

0B97FF45-BBFB-44E1-9897-3078B3C0BB32.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom 

Wow!  That is impressive.  Mine are large, but not THAT large Cat LOL

If I was keeping the ones I have, I'd try to do more with them.

But, I'm donating them and decided to just use flameless candles in the interior.

My intention all along was to do seasonal decor, but never did.

Best I let someone else enjoy them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman, I didn't change up the inside this year other than to add colour fairy lights to the white.  I love these lanterns as they are so beautiful lit up.  I have the timers set to come on every day and they are especially appreciated in winter. 

I am sure . someone will love to get your treasures!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a huge black (wrought iron-like) lantern.  It's curved at the top and looks like a birdcage almost.

For halloween, I put a large black crow in it, the crow is quite large and I have to leave the door open and it's beak sticks out.

ETA:  Not a real crow....!  In fact, I had a very hard time finding a *faux* crow that didn't use real bird feathers... Woman Sad 

I then use those tiny string lights in an orange-y amber color from Pier 1 and just sort of fill the rest of the lantern with the lights going where ever they want inside the lantern.  Pretty neat looking.  

I also have put a tall snowman inside (made out a resin-like material) and filled it with white tiny string lights.  Gives the effect of snowflakes.

You could probably find lots of left over winter themed items on sale this time of year.  Same for those tiny lights.  They add a nice touch.

Honored Contributor

I often use them as a setting for a small vignette. 

The idea is to leave flameless candles out all together, or make them the background of the vignette. 

I will often take a candle pedestal, set a smaller flameless candle on it, and locate it to the back left of the lantern, and fill the more front and right with a figurine of some type. A Santa, a snowman, a rabbit etc. then fill in around with some type of garland to match the figure. I've done snowy owl with glittered greens and pine cones for winter too. 

I get very tired of the obligatory large candle centered with 'stuff' or a ring around it. I try to think outside the box, use varying heights of things, and fill the lantern fairly full. I try to create a whole scene inside, and I will make it have a theme like primitive snowman, or elegant winter owl.