Honored Contributor

Re: Showerhead....what do you recommend?

Trouble is,  you have to buy them to try them,  and most don't have enough water pressure. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you go to Home Depot's website they have performance ratings on many of their showerheads and you can find some with a performance rating of nine out of ten. Now I'm not sure those performance ratings aren't just a marketing gimmick, but it gives you some baseline information anyway. There's also a wesite called highpressureshowerheads.com that specializes in high pressure showerheads at a very good price.

I have a pet theory that you can incorporate pressure washer technology into a shower supply line so that any and every showerhead would give you however much pressure you want, while still restricting water flow.

The most efficient showerheads typically have a flow rate of 1.25 gallons per minute, while the "typical" water saving showerheads come in more at 1.5-2.0 gallons per minute. Well, my Karcher pressure washer needs 1.4 gallons per minute flow from the house, so you could hook that up to a "typical" water saving shower head and still get vastly increased pressure. Bear in mind you don't want full strength pressure washer pressure or you'll be needing new skin, but a modest bump in pressure should be easily accomplished by adding a pressure washer type booster pump that still restricts water flow, inline between the temperature regulator and the showerhead. 

Pressure washers typically retail for $80 and up, so the price isn't too far out of line and you don't need (or want) 1400 psi for showering. A modest boost in pressure though using power washer technology should be pretty achievable. I suspect for $300-$500 retail you could make a pressure booster shower system that would give enough shower power to satisfy anyone while sitll conserving water.

How much pressure is too much? That would have to be sorted out and would likely vary from person to person and some would no doubt sue you for any increase in pressure claiming grievous injury, but the technology exists to significantly increase shower pressure, while still saving water. No one's just put the two together quite yet. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I just re-did my bathroom and put in a shower panel / tower.  I had one in the old bathroom and since the wall was open I purchased an updated one.  LOVE IT.  It's like having a spa in my house.  It has 8 jets, a rain shower, a rainfall, and hand held.  It's my "Calgon" take me away Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal

My shower head is "The Wonder Shower System", from "The Wonder Shower Company". I purchased my first one 20 or more years ago, and my last one approximately 10 years ago.  All are still working like new.  None of them have ever chipped, peeled or discolored, and the water pressure is great, and has never lessened.

I bought my first one when it was sold on QVC.  Back then the name of the company/showerhead was "The Down Under Wonder Shower".  

My model has the main shower head that is attached to an adjustable arm, that you can raise and lower, and turn the shower head away from you. It will accomodate everyone, from the tallest to the smallest. It comes with an additional Multi-Function Massage Hand Held shower head, that fits into a bracket.

My model is made of solid brass with chrome finish. (there are other models made of brushed nickel or, with a brass finish)  The model number is "#1000-100 3-1/2" Premium Series Wonder Shower System". It sells for $109.95. There are various models, some with lower prices. My model, without the handheld shower head is $69.95. I know it's expensive, compared to most on Amazon or Home Depot, but they last for years, and years. There are no signs that any of mine are going to die anytime soon.

I would have posted the link, but I was afraid the thread might get deleted. You can google "The Wonder Shower", and it should be the first one on the list. Or you can type in the 3 w's dot wonder shower dot com (without the spaces). Their phone number is 281-583-8861. They're in Houston, Texas. If you call them, they're very nice, and they'll help you navigate their website. It can be a little confusing sometimes.

If you need a "handheld" shower head, and you like the looks of this company, I would suggest the one I have. The handheld unit is very lightweight. I think the other models, with the single shower head, (that acts as a stationary shower head, as well as a handheld one) are kind of heavy to hold. But that might be just me, as I'm a senior with arthritis.

I almost forgot, they ship the "water saver" gadget in the box, for anyone who wants one, but it's not in the unit, for those of us who don't like them.

When I started writing this post, I didn't plan to write a book. Smiley LOL

Here's a picture of the one like mine.

Wonder Shower System w/Pulsating Hand Held Shower Head

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@qualitygal

My shower head is "The Wonder Shower System", from "The Wonder Shower Company". I purchased my first one 20 or more years ago, and my last one approximately 10 years ago.  All are still working like new.  None of them have ever chipped, peeled or discolored, and the water pressure is great, and has never lessened.

I bought my first one when it was sold on QVC.  Back then the name of the company/showerhead was "The Down Under Wonder Shower".  

My model has the main shower head that is attached to an adjustable arm, that you can raise and lower, and turn the shower head away from you. It will accomodate everyone, from the tallest to the smallest. It comes with an additional Multi-Function Massage Hand Held shower head, that fits into a bracket.

My model is made of solid brass with chrome finish. (there are other models made of brushed nickel or, with a brass finish)  The model number is "#1000-100 3-1/2" Premium Series Wonder Shower System". It sells for $109.95. There are various models, some with lower prices. My model, without the handheld shower head is $69.95. I know it's expensive, compared to most on Amazon or Home Depot, but they last for years, and years. There are no signs that any of mine are going to die anytime soon.

I would have posted the link, but I was afraid the thread might get deleted. You can google "The Wonder Shower", and it should be the first one on the list. Or you can type in the 3 w's dot wonder shower dot com (without the spaces). Their phone number is 281-583-8861. They're in Houston, Texas. If you call them, they're very nice, and they'll help you navigate their website. It can be a little confusing sometimes.

If you need a "handheld" shower head, and you like the looks of this company, I would suggest the one I have. The handheld unit is very lightweight. I think the other models, with the single shower head, (that acts as a stationary shower head, as well as a handheld one) are kind of heavy to hold. But that might be just me, as I'm a senior with arthritis.

I almost forgot, they ship the "water saver" gadget in the box, for anyone who wants one, but it's not in the unit, for those of us who don't like them.

When I started writing this post, I didn't plan to write a book. Smiley LOL

Here's a picture of the one like mine.

Wonder Shower System w/Pulsating Hand Held Shower Head

@CaliKat  Thank you!  There are tons of showerheads, so many that I was overwhelmed when looking, so gave up, but the tme is drawing nearer for the bathrooms to be redone, so this review has been very helpful for me.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl

You're very welcome. I hope you'll find the showerhead that best fits your needs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal My dh has had a Highsierra shower head in his shower for four years. I recently used his shower because I painted our master bath. I immediately ordered one for the master. It's none of the fancy stuff, but it gives out a powerful spray which I need for my long hair. I just took a picture of the enclosure that came with it.

0308170547.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I am happy with the bare minimum.  I installed a basic chrome showerhead from Home Depot for about $5 and it's great.  It has a button to shut off the water flow temporarily to save water when you are soaping up.  I like that feature and we have plenty of pressure with this. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had to post back that I finally found the perfect hand-held high pressure shower head for my purposes.  It has a nice long chrome flexi hose just a basic handheld showerhead for about $25 on the "Amazing Prime" site -- it's a YooMee brand if you search for it

Respected Contributor

I am in the beginning phase of doing a master bathroom remodel.  My contractor is recommending the Hansgrohe brand.  It's pretty expensive so I'm not sure if we want to make that investment but they are supposed to be that good.  We ruled out Delta but now looking into Kohler as perhaps a backup.