Valued Contributor

Re: Shower Door vs Shower Curtain.

I think you should go to a glass shop and look at the options. 

We have a large frameless glass shower, I love it.  As others have said there are no tracks.  There is a product they put on the glass (extra charge) that makes the water bead up but you still need to use a squeegee to avoid water spots. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Despite the supposed practicality and 'clean' look of a door, add me to the 'no way' list. I prefer a shower curtain. I have several lovely fabric shower curtains that I change out from time to time, coordinating then with towels and bath rugs, and wouldn't trade the look for a door that I'd then have to clean regularly... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl  I had glass doors installed in my walk-in shower about a year ago...and love them. There are no "tracks" at all. One side is the "door", the "fixed" side is held to the wall by a narrow metal piece. 

I was worried about water spots, but once I discovered textured glass I was all in! Mine is a pattern called "Rain". This pattern actually looks like rivulets of water are running down the glass.The outside of the glass is textured, the side facing the shower is smooth. The best part is water spots do not show at all unless you practically put your nose to the glass!

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer a shower curtain......don't want the hassle of cleaning the tracks of a door.  They can get really nasty if you don't keep at it.

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3  Not all shower doors have tracks these days...mine doesn't. 

I do agree with you, though! Before "frameless" shower enclosures became available, you couldn't have paid me to have shower doors!

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Patriot3  Not all shower doors have tracks these days...mine doesn't. 

I do agree with you, though! Before "frameless" shower enclosures became available, you couldn't have paid me to have shower doors!

@vermintI didn't know that!  You can see how much I don't like doors.......haven't looked at them for years!  Thanks for the info Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Cleaning the shower door is a major pain. I have one and found a solution that works for me. I attached a shower rod just behind the door at the height of the door and put in a hookless shower curtain. The glass looks like new. Just pull the curtain back if you don't want to see it. I have frosted glass so I just leave it full length. The curtain is easily removed to wash.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 , I have a swinging door as well.  Love.  I also have a slide, 14 years old that looks as clean as the day it was installed.  You have to keep on th slide to have it look so clean.  I have a curtain in a guest ensuite.  Never use that one.  LM

Trusted Contributor

If you are spending a big chunk of money on updating your bathroom, why would you want a shower curtain. Look at all the remodeling tv shows and none of them feature a shower curtain. Glass doors have come a long way. They no longer show spots that you have to clean. I updated my bathroom in December. The water just sheets right off the doors. No spots. No cleaning. Love it. Shower curtains would cheapen the new look.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

If you want to age in place I would strongly recommend a curtain. If you ever need to use adaptive equipment or need assistance with bathing, shower doors can be problematic. 

You can find beautiful shower curtains, just use an inexpensive liner that can be easily washed. 

This is true.  My mom had to take the glass doors off the track to put in the bench she needed for a while.

Those doors are very heavy to move.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN