Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shower Door vs Shower Curtain.

Curtain, curtain, curtain, curtain, curtain, curtain, CURTAIN!  Smiley Happy

I lived in a home with a glass shower door for many years and vowed that as soon as I moved into a new place, I would never ever have a door again. I hated cleaning it, I hated being able to see into the shower 24/7, and even though I love glass in general, I always felt that a glass door seemed institutional.

As others have noted, a curtain is really easy to clean (and requires less in-depth cleaning than a door), and if you ever want to cheaply update your bathroom, you can simply swap the curtain and towels, and it's like you have a whole new space.

Good luck with your decision...

Contributor

Curtain, and I second (or third) the vote for hookless. No one has mentioned privacy, but personally, I prefer the curtain so if a  person has to use the toilet while another person is in the shower, they both have some privacy. We only had one bathroom while three kids were growing up and it was sometimes necessary to have someone else in the bathroom while there was someone in the shower.

Trusted Contributor

I've had both and you couldn't pay me to have a shower door again.  My vote is for curtain.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I purchased an OLD house - it was going to be a house I would rent out. I had an inspector who was referred to me by my realtor (and he was the worst). The bathtub was upstairs and had a shower curtain. The floor was wood. Over the years, the water went over the tub and leaked downstairs. Luckily I hired someone to fix it - before the bathtub would have fallen thru the floor.

If the bathtub/shower curtain is downstairs -- it would work.

I have owned several brand new homes - I always installed shower doors. Now, I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the shower doors -- the metal frame on the tub gets a little grimy.

Honored Contributor

It's been decades since I lived in a place with shower doors, but my recollection is that they were a big pain in the.......you know.

The tracks were a pain to clean, the 'glass' was hard to keep clean looking. Not something I ever want to make more work in bathroom cleaning. 

But, maybe they are designed different/better these days, and the problems with the ones we had are not any longer real issues.

Respected Contributor

Frameless Glass Shower Doors - look great - easy to clean.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness shower doors are frameless these days. Much much easier.

Esteemed Contributor

@Seka wrote:

Frameless Glass Shower Doors - look great - easy to clean.

I agree.  I love my frameless glass doors.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

Please do get the shower door.  They look neater than a curtain, and aren't hard to maintain if cleaned regularly - e.g. squeegee after every shower.

Honored Contributor

If it's just a door that swings open and close, at least you don't have those horrid metal tracks!  

Personally, I prefer a shower curtain.