Respected Contributor

Shower Door vs Shower Curtain.

When I posted a question about paint colors for a bathroom I received so many good suggestions that I thought I would post another bathroom remodeling question to get opinions.

We are re-doing our bathroom and replacing the entire tub/shower combination.   We have always had a shower curtain and I liked it because I could just take it down and launder it.   

My husband would like to put in a glass shower door when we replace the tub.   He likes the looks of them and thinks that it would prevent any water from splashing out onto the new floor when showering.   

I remember having a cheap plastic shower door in my first apartment and it seemed like it was very difficult to keep clean.   That was many years ago and it wasn't a good quality glass door.  

I'm not against a glass shower door because I do think they look really nice but I am wondering how easy they are to maintain.   

For those of you who have a glass shower door do you like them?  How many of you would prefer a shower curtain over a shower door and if so why?  

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your opinions.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shower Door vs Shower Curtain.

I don’t exactly know what to tell you but cleaning a shower door and track is my most hated chore. I would rip that out and have a big open shower or another tub with a shower curtain. Most people will probably think a curtain is tacky and maybe it is. When I first moved into my house, I didn’t use the shower in the master for a long time so I could keep it looking clean and new. 

Trusted Contributor

I'd say go with the door as long as your husband cleans it. Smiley LOL

I like a curtain for the same reason you do. Doors look nice but I wouldn't want to have to keep it clean. I've never had an issue with water getting on the floor.

Honored Contributor

They have a LOT of options now with showers and some don't have doors at all, they are just a glass partial front.

I would look at different options and see what is easiest to clean.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl  We have a curtain in the guest (kid's) bathroom and a door in the master. The curtain is MUCH easier to clean. Plus, we keep an extra on hand in case we get last minute guests. We just switch out the curtain! I love the hookless curtains! That being said, the new "frameless" doors are so very sleek looking! But they still have a trench at the bottom. I would say, get the door if you can afford a cleaning person.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am thinking from your post that you will be replacing the shower over tub with a walk-in shower. Good idea. I have that type of shower and I recommend  textured glass doors. Clear doors are a nightmare to keep clean. I just rinse and use a squeegee after each shower and the doors look fine between cleanings.

For shower over tub, it's curtains all the way. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @KCDiva, cleaning the shower door and track in my walk-in shower is also my most hated job and one that I keep putting off. I think the pros of a shower door is that the shower is much brighter, and I like the look of a pretty glass door. The cons are keeping it clean. Unfortunately, I procrastinate. If a tub is involved, then I'd definitely go with a shower curtain....much easier!

Honored Contributor

When I rented a flat, it had a glass shower door - 

Image result for mens on film hated it gif

I prefer the shower curtain that I now have as a homeowner.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I love our shower door and it’s about 14 years old and as clear as new. We squeegee every time we shower. Once a week or two I clean with Dawn and microfiber cloth - rinse - squeegee.
On the other hand my daughter has curtain and liner. She spritzed often with vinegar but few times Schrat it takes elbow grease to wipe liner with barkeepers friend.
Honored Contributor

I have a shower curtain in the stall in my 1/2 bath downstairs and had to change the curtain after only one year. I would prefer a shower door, my brother has one and loves it, but I didn't even think of it when we remodeled.