Honored Contributor

Re: Should this LR Have Artwork on the Mantel?

Yes, this room begs for color and mantel decor.  I am NOT a fan of white.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I think the windows are begging for some sort of window treatment.

Respected Contributor

I feel there should be something on the white wall behind the fireplace.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe not necessarily a picture on the mantel leaning against the wall, but something bold and abstract as in a geometric metal design or a statue of a large black cat, something striking and strong to fill the space.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it definitely needs color there.  I think a couple of nice, picturesque scenes would do the trick.

Also, some light, flowy panels on the windows with pops of color - nothing too bold though.  Shouldn't block off the wonderful natural light this room has.

Super Contributor

It needs a picture over or  some items on the mantel. It looks like someone decorated the rest of the room but forgot the fireplace area!

Respected Contributor

I like high ceilings, but this room looks like a two-story house where the upstairs floor was removed after the fact.  The moldings cut the entire room and the fireplace in half so that even a magnificent piece of art above it would look lost.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I think it's a lovely room.  I like the neutral colors.  I would agree the mantle needs something.

I dislike the trend of having a huge flat screen directly atop a fireplace.  It takes the focal point away from the fireplace, which doesn't make sense to me.  Often times the TV above the fireplace is the best place to view the TV for all to see, but I think it really detracts from the room decor.

I too am not a fan of wreaths.  I'm so tired of wreaths everywhere and esp. if they have large bows on them.  So froo froo.

We don't know what's outside those windows.  Maybe beautiful views of a lake or forest and they don't want any clutter becoming a distraction. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Yes.The windows need some color also.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely needs something to pop that room. A mirror? Maybe some beautiful candlesticks. How about some plants by the windows.