Respected Contributor

Sweet of you to be concerned. I would tip only if they have to do anything extra to get the job done. I had windows installed & in 1 room they had to move a large piece of furniture so I did tip for that otherwise I wouldn't. I always have drinks available for those who work inside or outside & it's always appreciated....I make sure to stay out of the way too.

Honored Contributor

No, it would not even occur to me to tip.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@scraphappy wrote:

Having french glass shower doors installed today.  They cost $1125.  Would you tip the person who installs them?  TIA

Depends on the situation and relationship with the installer.

Around here in the hot deep South, a bottle of cold water is a must.

Tip if he goes above & beyond.

@software

LOL! ITA! 

I'm in the hot deep South too and I always offer something cold to drink!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

No, I would personally not.

Honored Contributor

I don't unless they go above & beyond what's typically expected.

A few years ago we had a new washer & dryer delivered.  It was a very hot & humid summer day.  I offered the two men icy cold bottles of water.  They seemed very grateful for it and the leader of the two mentioned it was the first time that someone had done that for them. Of course I was surprised.

I realize it's not a tip but it makes you wonder how many do give anything.

Trusted Contributor

No, these are professional skill type jobs. It's not like a waitress working minimum wage and running back and forth for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I Tip?

[ Edited ]

We almost always tip the people who do work for us.  We recently moved into a condo in Chicago and have tipped the roller shade installer, the movers and others who did a good job and were pleasant.  We feel we're in a position to do so, so why not???  And most of the time they are very surprised and appreciative.

In your situation if there's only one installer, he does a good job and is friendly, I'd give him $20.  Generosity is never a mistake.

Honored Contributor

I do tip for a lot of things, and especially at restaurants but for that kind of job with that much expense I guess I would have thought the installation and everything was included, as well as paying the installers well. Maybe I am wrong.

I do think its nice to offer drinks or something like that especially if hot.

Usually they are very much appreciated.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

NO!

Why do we have to tip everyone?

Respected Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

Having french glass shower doors installed today.  They cost $1125.  Would you tip the person who installs them?  TIA

NO!  This tipping thing has gotten totally out of hand.