Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I Keep or Is It Time To Go

Old, washed, faded and replaced with new? Time for the trash.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the repurposing camp. I can always find a reason for a drop cloth for when you do touch up wall painting, or on a counter while filling planters, or on ground while assembling something, or even while spray painting.

Honored Contributor

I use things like this in the back of my car to keep items clean when I take them to consignment or Goodwill.

Honored Contributor

When I do something like that, new shower curtain or sheets if I can pitch them without anyone seeing me put them in the garbage can I do otherwise they have to be "saved for rags". 

I've learned to wait until he's not home, put it in a trash bag and take it right out to the garbage can.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   Wash it then donate...you mentioned it is faded...if you store it to reuse you most likely will not want to use it again and wonder why you kept it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop I agree with @aroc3435. I like to switch them out from time to time and a folded shower curtain really isn't taking up much space. I'd keep it. You might even find another use for it. Worst case scenario is you happen upon it one day, realize you haven't used it, and get rid of it then.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Old, washed, faded and replaced with new? Time for the trash.

@queendiva @BunSnoop - yep.  I was going to post the same thing.  Colors aren't as vibrant and it's old and you've bought a replacement. Out it goes.  

Full disclaimer here though.  I am a declutterer and a purger.  I rarely,  rarely, keep old things that I've just replaced "just in case".  Just isn't in my nature.  You move it to the garage and five years from now it's still in the garage and in even worse shape than it's in now.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter , I loved your reply!   Anytime I want to throw out something my husband will say - don't throw that out, give it to me, I'll use it.  He wants old pots  or  plastic storage containers to store nuts and bolts, he wants sheets to use as rags and wants towels to use when he washes the car, etc.   However, he has 2 garages and 2 sheds and they all have too much stuff not being used.  So now I  "sneak" my junk to the trash and no longer ask him if it's something he can use.  

As for the shower curtain, gosh everyone gave great answers - good pros and cons as to whether to keep or discard.  My decision........time to get rid of it.   I just love my new shower curtain so that makes me think that I must not have been too happy any more with the old one.  When I'm ready for a change, I'll buy a new one.

It seems as though so much of my time is moving things around to make room for new "stuff".  I moved into this home about 8 years ago and its larger than my old home, but I notice as the years go by this house is now getting rather filled.   I don't like to have to "stuff" things to find a place to put them.     So....good bye to the old shower curtain!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   Keep it.  When you wash the new one, hang the old one up.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I do not think I would donate a used shower curtain. A shower curtain seems to personal to donate.  When I buy a new one I trash the old one. 

Do you want my used shower curtain? I do not want yours. LOL